Question concerning advertisements on comic page

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

MeaCulpa, S.C.M.
The Last Gunslinger

Question concerning advertisements on comic page

#1 Post by MeaCulpa, S.C.M. »

Does revenue for these advertisements go to Tom or keenspot? Maybe there was a forum post and I missed it. Either way, if they go to Tom I'll stop using adblock. I wasn't even aware there were ads on the site.

EDIT: They also add a lot of load time to the page.
VERY, GOOD

Tesla Foxtrot
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Her

Re: Question concerning advertisements on comic page

#2 Post by Tesla Foxtrot »

Yeah, that is the most annoying with ads these Days, they ain't Commercials anymore as they are now like speed blockers.
I use to have respect for ads, but now ads simply make sites to go slow, then I dont even see why they are there :?
The communist part is a inside-joke with friends. :kathrin:

kellade
Master
Location: Somewhere between the realms of technicolor horses, killer yet adorable animatronics, and reality.

#3 Post by kellade »

Tesla Foxtrot wrote:Yeah, that is the most annoying with ads these Days, they ain't Commercials anymore as they are now like speed blockers.
I use to have respect for ads, but now ads simply make sites to go slow, then I dont even see why they are there :?
Let's not forget the viruses some come with. Tom's site has been pretty good with not having many virus ones.
Also, I believe adblock lets you have change it so some sites are allowed ads.

DariusL
Panthera tigris altaica
Fav. Twokinds Character: Kat

#4 Post by DariusL »

kellade wrote:
Tesla Foxtrot wrote:Yeah, that is the most annoying with ads these Days, they ain't Commercials anymore as they are now like speed blockers.
Let's not forget the viruses some come with. Tom's site has been pretty good with not having many virus ones.
Also, I believe adblock lets you have change it so some sites are allowed ads.
Indeed, and you can also selectively filter ad sources to keep the nasty ones away while still letting the ok ones in.

MeaCulpa, S.C.M.
The Last Gunslinger

#5 Post by MeaCulpa, S.C.M. »

So uh, my original question? Anyone?
VERY, GOOD

anonfox123
Grand Templar

#6 Post by anonfox123 »

MeaCulpa, S.C.M. wrote:So uh, my original question? Anyone?
We have no idea. Also I HATE those ads that start auto-playing a video ad that should have belonged on TV.

>Be me.
>Be browsing.
> :evil: MFW I suddenly hear: "JIM BUTLER KIA DEALER GREAT DEALS BEST CAR 10/10 BEST MILEAGE PICK UP GIRLS BEST CAR
Ice-cold science-fantasy space-ninja operative!

InceptionBwaaa
Grand Templar

#7 Post by InceptionBwaaa »

anonfox123 wrote:
MeaCulpa, S.C.M. wrote:So uh, my original question? Anyone?
We have no idea. Also I HATE those ads that start auto-playing a video ad that should have belonged on TV.

>Be me.
>Be browsing.
> :evil: MFW I suddenly hear: "JIM BUTLER KIA DEALER GREAT DEALS BEST CAR 10/10 BEST MILEAGE PICK UP GIRLS BEST CAR
11/10 would smash
Certified Jojo fan
"She's a keeper!" ~Firekeeper
Stardust Crusaders banner coming soon.
Zelda x Palutena is the one true ship.

Shannara360
Traveler

#8 Post by Shannara360 »

I don't know the answer for certain, but in general ads normally help out the user of the website in some way, whether it be direct money in their pocket or money in the pocket of those who run the servers. Either way it helps keep Tom in an area of relative financial stability. If it didn't, I don't think he would have ads on his site. My rule of thumb is, if I like you and want to support you, I will turn off adblock for your site. Unless of course the ads are extremely intrusive and are just too much of a pain to be dealt with.
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/rukamae/ Check out my friend's artwork! It is pretty legit! My avatar was drawn by her and is used with permission.

AmigaDragon
Grand Templar

#9 Post by AmigaDragon »

When ads are for stuff I have absolutely no interest in, I see no difference between ignoring them myself or with the help of an ad blocker. Either way I'm not spending money on the product.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Tesla Foxtrot
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Her

#10 Post by Tesla Foxtrot »

[quote=" Either way I'm not spending money on the product.[/quote]

Either does the Company that pay'd for the ad
Just saying
The communist part is a inside-joke with friends. :kathrin:

TinyVoices
Templar Inner Circle

#11 Post by TinyVoices »

I use adblock like it's effectively an internet condom. I no longer care if you say you're clean; I'm using it.

amenon
Grand Templar

#12 Post by amenon »

AmigaDragon wrote:When ads are for stuff I have absolutely no interest in, I see no difference between ignoring them myself or with the help of an ad blocker. Either way I'm not spending money on the product.
The difference is between the site hosting the ad getting paid for the ad impression or not.

And for the general question of the thread, surely yes? How else would the deal be structured? I don't see what Keenspot provides that would justify a huge cut of the proceeds.
]]> Twokinds search (search the comic based on art or text!)

My most recent Twokinds smutfics, newest to oldest [NSFW]:

TinyVoices
Templar Inner Circle

#13 Post by TinyVoices »

amenon wrote:I don't see what Keenspot provides that would justify a huge cut of the proceeds.
Besides, of course, the shell in which Twokinds exists in. AKA the front page and many of it's appendices.

Warrl
Grand Templar

#14 Post by Warrl »

Well, Keenspot has expenses providing the servers and the like doesn't it? Even if Tom buys a server and cohosts it there, they are providing power, space, climate control, internet bandwidth, DNS maintenance, and probably system administration/maintenance.

If Tom pays them for that, then the default assumption - subject to negotiation - would be that advertising revenue would be entirely Tom's.

If Keenspot is providing that stuff for free, and even more so if they bought the server and bear that cost as well, I would expect them to take the first - and possibly largest - cut of any advertising revenue. Possibly in a scaled fashion, where they take a large cut of the first $X of advertising revenue and progressively smaller cuts of additional chunks above that level.