October 5 2011 Comic

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Schnopps
Templar GrandMaster

October 5 2011 Comic

#1 Post by Schnopps »

Not too often that you see someone choosing to forget or to remain ignorant about their true self.

Darkfur
Master

Re: October 5 2011 Comic

#2 Post by Darkfur »

Beat me by 2 minutes...

Love the comic, that would be hard to decide to not know your past
Lurk moar.

JustZsolt
Merchant

#3 Post by JustZsolt »

"So I've decided I'm not going to let myself do anything to put risk anymore."

Hm, I think there will be troubles about that sentence... Maybe in the next comic.

FurryForlife
Hugger Extraordinaire
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#4 Post by FurryForlife »

Alt text: A Change of heart.
Story: To be Inspired.
My Sofurry account (I believe unless you log in, or change it, the site is in SFW mode)

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#5 Post by avwolf »

"I'm going to burn my old journal, and avoid contact with other living beings for the rest of our lives."

But hey, Trace is learning. It's nice to see that he's actually become aware of the fact that he's dangerous and his past is a dark hole he shouldn't delve (as much as this decision will disappoint Sithil). The question is going to be if he keeps up with it (he's probably still got Flora's immortality somewhere in the back of his mind), but he's actually learning lessons from the destruction and loss of life that has been surrounding him. And, unlike Keith "I kill everyone I love" Keiser, it seems like Trace might be learning the right lessons.

Chocolate
Apprentice

#6 Post by Chocolate »

Loving the development coming back to the cover pair

Trace looks like he is finally making the 'right' steps and committing to the now

- Chocolate
It is I. Chocolate.

Missing since about two years ago. previously i was an active member and hope to return to such duties forth-hence
nowdays going by my long term Alias of Milorde, Pronounced Narsasisticaly! M'lord

Avid Wargamer, Airland battle, anyone?

BadFoMo
Grand Templar

#7 Post by BadFoMo »

I guess I was wrong again. I figured we were going to stick with Trace and Flora for a bit longer, but we wouldn’t have a comic today because of the Voting Incentive.

Anyway, is it just me or do their eyes look a bit too big for their heads? Also, is Tom trying something new with the black parts of Flora’s fur? I just don’t remember her ears being done like that.
Why yes, in addition to the usual ships, I support Zen X Kathrin and Alaric X Laura.

TwoKinds Printable Game Toys!
Now crowd sourcing ideas!

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#8 Post by avwolf »

It looks like Tom's doing some experimentation with his linework in general here. Notice how much the lines around Trace's face vary in thickness, even compared just to the last comic. I think it's a little dramatic in the second panel, but looks pretty good in the fifth.

Chocolate
Apprentice

#9 Post by Chocolate »

I see it very clearly in the penultimate panel, Av :3

- Iseeitnow Chocolate
It is I. Chocolate.

Missing since about two years ago. previously i was an active member and hope to return to such duties forth-hence
nowdays going by my long term Alias of Milorde, Pronounced Narsasisticaly! M'lord

Avid Wargamer, Airland battle, anyone?

Kerensky287
Citizen

#10 Post by Kerensky287 »

It seems to me that he's been doing a LOT of artistic experimentation, and in my opinion it's paying huge dividends. The art has been fantastic for a good long time now, but it seems like every week some new detail just pops out at me - stuff like the reflective eyes in some panels, the extra fur texturing, and, as has been mentioned, Flora's stripes in today's page.

I also like where this comic's going. From the looks of it, Trace is willing to put his past behind him; I feel like the amnesiac angle has been played to death in other works, and the fact that he's willing to set it aside makes me think that he's growing as a character. Amnesia is a really useful trope in fiction because it makes it really easy to teach the audience about your character - their motivation is to learn about themselves, in fact, so as they succeed in their goal the readers will inevitably learn too. With Trace, he's less of a reader stand-in now and more of a thinking being. He's not mindlessly marching down memory lane. He's stopping and going, "You know what? No. I've seen enough. This isn't me anymore. I'm going to go be somebody else." He's a character that can be made interesting enough in his own right without having a mysterious past as a personality hook.

I dunno if he's going to propose or what next chapter but I sense plot development on the horizon.

Hoppy
Templar GrandMaster

#11 Post by Hoppy »

I'm really liking how he's doing the backgrounds now. The shading is very nice. Really helps give the panels more 'depth', I think.

I wonder if Trace is going to ask Flora to marry him? It's really funny that, technically, and even legally in some way, they already are married. Both of them have declared as much, but not to each other. That was a neat bit of writing to have that happen. :grin:
Image Image

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing UP is entirely optional." --(I dunno who said it but I'm doing a fine job of proving it's true.)

2plus2makes5
Templar GrandMaster

#12 Post by 2plus2makes5 »

Huh, my opinion is that Trace will try to use mana to erase parts of his memory. (Hey, it worked once, right?)
We wear the mask that grins and lies,
It hides our cheeks and shades our eyes,—
This debt we pay to human guile;
With torn and bleeding hearts we smile,
And mouth with myriad subtleties.
-Paul Laurence Dunbar

Darkfur
Master

#13 Post by Darkfur »

2plus2makes5 wrote:Huh, my opinion is that Trace will try to use mana to erase parts of his memory. (Hey, it worked once, right?)
Actually i believe 'Mask Magic' was used? it is different from regular magic.
(I have no idea where i heard that from...)

EDIT:
and maybe if he CAN do it, might he erase the wrong part (say... the part about flora and his love for her?)
Lurk moar.

2plus2makes5
Templar GrandMaster

#14 Post by 2plus2makes5 »

Darkfur wrote:
2plus2makes5 wrote:Huh, my opinion is that Trace will try to use mana to erase parts of his memory. (Hey, it worked once, right?)
Actually i believe 'Mask Magic' was used? it is different from regular magic.
(I have no idea where i heard that from...)
Good point, but I bet there's a similar spell he could find/has in mind.
We wear the mask that grins and lies,
It hides our cheeks and shades our eyes,—
This debt we pay to human guile;
With torn and bleeding hearts we smile,
And mouth with myriad subtleties.
-Paul Laurence Dunbar

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#15 Post by Schrodinger »

I think Trace has had enough of messing with his own head.
What was it the spider said to the fly...