The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

BadFoMo
Grand Templar

Comic Page for Wednesday, October 30th, 2013

#1 Post by BadFoMo »

A Painful Reminder

Also, we have this.
Why yes, in addition to the usual ships, I support Zen X Kathrin and Alaric X Laura.

TwoKinds Printable Game Toys!
Now crowd sourcing ideas!

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

Re: Comic Page for Wednesday, October 30th, 2013

#2 Post by Schrodinger »

Oh how delightfully tragic! Now it's time for a certain someone to stop him from throwing it over.
What was it the spider said to the fly...

xamali
Grand Templar

#3 Post by xamali »

Damn, a minute too late!
OT: So we were all right when we said it had to do with the banishment and the family.
I wanna hug crying Keith in second pannel. (;_;)
And why do I have the feeling Flora won't let Keith throw the Ol' Buckety away, and give him some nice speech about how he should cherish his helmet in some way, perhaps for it being the only heirloom he has (a connection to his family), or something of the sort.
Fear is not "evil". It is to know your own weakness. If you know your weakness, people can become strong as well as gentle.
2Kinds Portuguese Translation

anonfox123
Grand Templar

#4 Post by anonfox123 »

But you do deserve it Keith! You have a chance to make things right!

*he throws it anyway*

And then a voice from the great beyond: "Son, I am disappoint."
Ice-cold science-fantasy space-ninja operative!

Rafe
Council Member

#5 Post by Rafe »

Young Keith looks even more tragic, due to his soulful eyes with their full-blown white sclera, irises, pupils and all.

unsteddyPhoenix
Grand Templar

#6 Post by unsteddyPhoenix »

Goddamn. I always forget how much of a precious little baby Keith looks like when his eyes are drawn like that. [censored] basitin are adorable, it's surreal how militaristic they are.

Someone is gonna grab his wrist next page, calling it now.
Tom wrote:The entire Basitin race is actually just a group of extremist LARPers.
ImageImage

Blue Phoenix
Citizen

#7 Post by Blue Phoenix »

So... apparently :keith: had normal eyes like everyone else when he was younger... interesting.

Hmm, interesting word choice. To not "deserve" to wear the helmet of his father. Deserve usually means worthiness, but :keith: hated his father until he learned the truth. Also, Keith couldn't have killed his father; he was too weak if I recall the reason correctly. Therefore, he's feeling regretful of a deed he could not possibly have committed for a strict father who loves his wife more than his son... meh, typical Basitin family issues. haha
To be purified by the flame yet still rise from the ashes. This is the trial by fire.

Life at its best is bittersweet.

AndreRhineDavis
Templar Master

#8 Post by AndreRhineDavis »

Blue Phoenix wrote:So... apparently :keith: had normal eyes like everyone else when he was younger... interesting.

Hmm, interesting word choice. To not "deserve" to wear the helmet of his father. Deserve usually means worthiness, but :keith: hated his father until he learned the truth. Also, Keith couldn't have killed his father; he was too weak if I recall the reason correctly. Therefore, he's feeling regretful of a deed he could not possibly have committed for a strict father who loves his wife more than his son... meh, typical Basitin family issues. haha
Well not necessarily, we can also say that someone does not deserve to die, that they do not deserve to be punished, that they do not deserve pain... "to deserve" something means that it is fair that you have it, whether it is good or bad.

But yeah, it sounds weird because "deserving to wear the helmet of his father" sounds as if it's a kind of honour, and that he's not worthy enough to have that honour. But I guess for Keith, the helmet of his father is not an honour, it is something that has haunted him all these years as a reminder of the past, as a reminder of what he had done, and he's saying that he no longer "deserves" to be haunted and guilt-tripped by his past.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure Keith did kill his father... yes, he would have been too weak under normal circumstances, but his father had gotten drunk from the grief over Keith's mother having been killed, and was in no state to defend himself when Keith killed him... right?

johny
Templar GrandMaster

#9 Post by johny »

Aw I feel so bad for Keith. Still not getting brakes, kinda reminds me of myself. I sure hope things finally turn around for him.

Enzo
Traveler
Fav. Twokinds Character: Adelaide

#10 Post by Enzo »

Seeing this makes me feel like his behavior in the beginning is understandable now. Keith seemed rather focused on what he needed to do in order to return home also because he was so caring towards others but being so blunt sometimes reminded me of myself. When I have a lot of things on my mind and get angry, I become very blunt. If I was in Keith's shoes right now, knowing the truth of what really happened to his dad, I'd feel the same way :'(

"Patience is a virtue"
~Ray

Zylver
Grand Templar

#11 Post by Zylver »

And then a wild Natani appears in the next panel :P

The younger Keith looks so cute, even if his case is strongly tragic and dreadful... Basitins are indeed adorable :P

Of the four elements, air, earth, water, and fire, man stole only one from the gods.
Fire.
And with it, man forged his will upon the world.
- Anonymus

BadFoMo
Grand Templar

#12 Post by BadFoMo »

Rafe wrote:Young Keith looks even more tragic, due to his soulful eyes with their full-blown white sclera, irises, pupils and all.
He has what?!
/me takes another look at today's comic.
I'm one of those individuals who would like to see more detail in his eyes (and for that matter would like to know how he was the only one who didn't get any details when everyone else did) and yet I miss that? How did that happen?!

Anyway, if you look at in some weird way, the saying “the eyes are the windows to the soul” could be used to have some meaning here in the sense that he is still broken in some way.

AndreRhineDavis wrote:EDIT: I'm pretty sure Keith did kill his father... yes, he would have been too weak under normal circumstances, but his father had gotten drunk from the grief over Keith's mother having been killed, and was in no state to defend himself when Keith killed him... right?
I'm not so sure. A couple years ago there was a discussion in one of the comics (I'm not sure which one) regarding this. If I recall correctly, the theory was that his father may have taken his own life. The only two pieces of evidence that I remember was how Keith said “As he was, he practically fell on my spear…” and the pose (pointed out by Kindamoody) hints that he may have seen an easy way out, and took it.

I would like to believe that Keith didn't commit murder and his father didn't commit suicide but rather sacrificed himself knowing that this would get his son out of here, unfortunately there is no more evidence to my knowledge.

Schrodinger wrote:Oh how delightfully tragic! Now it's time for a certain someone to stop him from throwing it over.
Either that, or when he tries to throw the helmet it doesn't go far, staying on the ship, and simply lands a few feet away from him.
Why yes, in addition to the usual ships, I support Zen X Kathrin and Alaric X Laura.

TwoKinds Printable Game Toys!
Now crowd sourcing ideas!

Karcharoth
Templar GrandMaster

#13 Post by Karcharoth »

BadFoMo wrote:
Schrodinger wrote:Oh how delightfully tragic! Now it's time for a certain someone to stop him from throwing it over.
Either that, or when he tries to throw the helmet it doesn't go far, staying on the ship, and simply lands a few feet away from him.
I somehow want to see Natani appearing here and stopping him, as Schro and Zylver already mentioned it. Flora might be too light and could be thrown with the bucket...

Edit:
BadFoMo wrote:
Rafe wrote:Young Keith looks even more tragic, due to his soulful eyes with their full-blown white sclera, irises, pupils and all.
He has what?!
I'm one of those individuals who would like to see more detail in his eyes (and for that matter would like to know how he was the only one who didn't get any details when everyone else did) and yet I miss that? How did that happen?!

Anyway, if you look at in some weird way, the saying “the eyes are the windows to the soul” could be used to have some meaning here in the sense that he is still broken in some way.
On a side note. What if Keith gets 'normal' eyes in the end (after smiling at damn long last)? Flora, Nat and every fem on-board going 'Wow, Your eyes! They have changed and are beautiful now!'. Call that awkward somehow...
Place for Your advert!

xamali
Grand Templar

#14 Post by xamali »

BadFoMo wrote:I'm not so sure. A couple years ago there was a discussion in one of the comics (I'm not sure which one) regarding this. If I recall correctly, the theory was that his father may have taken his own life. The only two pieces of evidence that I remember was how Keith said “As he was, he practically fell on my spear…” and the pose (pointed out by Kindamoody) hints that he may have seen an easy way out, and took it.
Wow, never thought of that. Thanks for the links.
As for Keith's eyes. I kinda like the idea of Tom making his eyes "normal" once Keith is truly "cured" from his past. Just as he used (ether that or we read too much into it) his eye patch as a metaphor for being blind, or plainly not wanting to see/accept the reality.
Fear is not "evil". It is to know your own weakness. If you know your weakness, people can become strong as well as gentle.
2Kinds Portuguese Translation

obi-wan
Templar Master

#15 Post by obi-wan »

Karcharoth wrote:
BadFoMo wrote:
I somehow want to see Natani appearing here and stopping him, as Schro and Zylver already mentioned it. Flora might be too light and could be thrown with the bucket...

Edit:
BadFoMo wrote:
He has what?!

On a side note. What if Keith gets 'normal' eyes in the end (after smiling at damn long last)? Flora, Nat and every fem on-board going 'Wow, Your eyes! They have changed and are beautiful now!'. Call that awkward somehow...
I agree with you I think Natani will stop him somehow throw the old bucket to the ocean, and then she will remind him the talk in cemetery and she will tell him again that's not his fault all those deaths (his parents, his friend and his fiancee)
May the force be with you