The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Zylver
Grand Templar

Comic Page for Saturday, November 23th, 2013

#1 Post by Zylver »

Alt text: Transformation Catch 22

Pssstt... somebody is watching 8)

Of the four elements, air, earth, water, and fire, man stole only one from the gods.
Fire.
And with it, man forged his will upon the world.
- Anonymus

anonfox123
Grand Templar

Re: Comic Page for Saturday, November 23th, 2013

#2 Post by anonfox123 »

Plotline aside, this page is an interesting look into how magic/tech works over there. Guess that "shackle thing" isn't as elegant of a solution as we thought. (or as much as I thought...)

also first! :P
Ice-cold science-fantasy space-ninja operative!

Myperson54
The Imagineer

#3 Post by Myperson54 »

Man, and I was just about to check if there was a new page, too :D

I noticed a typo, though: "to" instead of "too."

Also, explanations! Yay!

I am become salt, destroyer of memes

Join the Unofficial 2k Discord Channel!

Astehnir
Traveler

#4 Post by Astehnir »

Those two little spying eyes to the right on last panel made me giggle. Nice.
Draco sum; Draci nil a me alienum puto est.

EvilNinjadude
Templar Inner Circle

#5 Post by EvilNinjadude »

Myperson54 wrote:I noticed a typo, though: "to" instead of "too."
I can detect no "to" that should be a "too". In fact I have only found one "to" and that one is perfectly fine.

Also, the fact that her innate magic and her curse appear to be two sides of the same coin seems strange and pulled out of thin air, but is strangely consistent with the original explanation where it's stated that the charm "kept her magic at bay". It's a good thing Tom put up that Group B archive, eh? He knew people were going to wonder.

tl;dr: The fact that her magical ability and her curse are inseparable is not a new thing.

BadFoMo
Grand Templar

#6 Post by BadFoMo »

The voice in my head which demands order wrote:
Myperson54 wrote:I noticed a typo, though: "to" instead of "too."
Confound it! This wasn't supposed update until tomorrow! Does anyone have the first version? And if so, are there any other differences other than the grammar correction?
While the voice in my head which likes story wrote:Oh cool, a new update!
In the third panel, Raine wrote:As long as I'm trapped in this Keidran body, I'm stuck with all the biological issues that comes with being Keidran.
I assume that includes the aging process as well. Does this mean that if this whole thing gets fixed, [Database error] might be too young for her?

Also, if a new magical suppressor has to be made, perhaps it would be wise to separate the different aspects into different charms. That way if one gets accidentally destroyed, the others will remain intact so that you won't have a whole heap of problems to deal with while trying to fix it.
Why yes, in addition to the usual ships, I support Zen X Kathrin and Alaric X Laura.

TwoKinds Printable Game Toys!
Now crowd sourcing ideas!

EvilNinjadude
Templar Inner Circle

#7 Post by EvilNinjadude »

Also I just realized what really annoyed me about the way Tom draws his Keidran. I couldn't put my finger on it before, but now I finally realized what it was.

He draws all their ears like you're seeing them head on. While usually drawing their faces at a slight angle. I suppose it's a little bit like having models for environment in Brutal Doom and sprites for enemies, except that there, people want it to be that way because it's oldschool or something.

judah4
The Cookie Dragon
Fav. Twokinds Character: Nora

#8 Post by judah4 »

I like getting to know hoe stuff works :P

yeah, ears and up a little funky

Josh.C
Citizen

#9 Post by Josh.C »

Personally, I wonder if her problem is less of a curse and simply just that because her parents had either unusual natural ability or extremely powerful and the traits inherited by her wasn't trained properly in that environment.

I mean being boarded up in a house away from anything with a charm to suppress what you are is a far cry to what her father probably had to go through to do it himself.

Also, I'm kind of wondering who's spying on them as well and just how much they heard?

NothingIsSure
Master

#10 Post by NothingIsSure »

Raine is so sweet ;3
Want to see my 'art' ?
Don't set your dogs on me.

Myperson54
The Imagineer

#11 Post by Myperson54 »

Huh, weird. I came back to check this thread, and the page has been edited. Originally, Sythe continued, "thinking about it to hard." That was fast.

I am become salt, destroyer of memes

Join the Unofficial 2k Discord Channel!

DariusL
Panthera tigris altaica
Fav. Twokinds Character: Kat

#12 Post by DariusL »

NothingIsSure wrote:Image
I had not noticed this, interesting. Looks like Zen finished his nap.

TinyVoices
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Kat

#13 Post by TinyVoices »

ticoun wrote:I had not noticed this, interesting. Looks like Zen finished his nap.
Zen: "Time for a nap then a quick fap, then it's time to set a trap."
I noticed him almost immediately. Made me giggle when I saw him spying on them.

If there's anything Greek Mythology class has taught me, it is that those with great power will be punished for being so great, and that their children can be punished for being the offspring of great people. (there's more to it, but it's complicated and culture inclined)

I wonder if they have any clue why there's an assassin going after them. Besides maybe because they survived the utter destruction of their village.

Enzo
Traveler
Fav. Twokinds Character: Adelaide

#14 Post by Enzo »

I haven't been able to see if there were new pages up for the last week or so. I didn't even know what this new chapter was about, so I was a little upset that I can't see any more Natani right now. Anyways, I think Raine was born a Keidran since she needs to use mana crystals and is unable to control her magic while in human form. Although I'm curious how Raine would be as a mage, if she had the training.

"Patience is a virtue"
~Ray

MuonNeutrino
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Rose, Natani

#15 Post by MuonNeutrino »

Raysplace wrote:Anyways, I think Raine was born a Keidran since she needs to use mana crystals and is unable to control her magic while in human form. Although I'm curious how Raine would be as a mage, if she had the training.
I don't think you can really say that Raine is specifically a human or a keidran. She's both, she just appears to fully take on both the benefits and limitations of whatever form she's currently wearing. On the cast page, Tom mentions that while she does have no control over her shapeshifting, the reason she ends up in keidran form whenever the suppression spell is lifted is because she's been forced to be in *human* form for so long, not because it's somehow her more 'natural' state.

As for her magical power, I'd guess that if it could be controlled she'd probably be second in power only to Trace among the mages we've seen in the comic. After all, she *is* the child of the most powerful keidran mage we've seen and a human who was strong enough to become the grand templar. Of course, she hasn't been trained, and I personally have to wonder if she *could* control her magic even *with* training, given what we've seen.

Also, interesting note - she says here that the shackle is a magic suppressor, and that it not only prevents her from transforming but also cuts off her other magical abilities. However, here she unintentionally teleports the group away while she's trying to plead their case. I think the key here is how she specifically says that with the shackle on she can't use her abilities *voluntarily*. In other words the shackle seems to specifically suppress the transformation magic, and as a side effect suppresses voluntary control of her other magic, but doesn't seem to stop her accidental use of magic.