[WIP] Twokinds Timeline

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Kaz
Master

[WIP] Twokinds Timeline

#1 Post by Kaz »

Hello all!

I started making a timeline for Twokinds, and would like your feedback.

It is very WIP and includes sources from the following pages among others (and my own brain):

- Comic 78
- Comic 192
- Comic 404
- Comic 406
- Comic 581
- Characters Page

If there's something that I missed or that needs updating, PLEASE tell me! I'm here to serve you!

File: http://goo.gl/QescUU
(Sorry for link, PDFs aren't allowed for upload)

UPDATE (6/22/14): All files (in their latest version) will be placed to my Dropbox.
Link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rdaheovrw7yj ... Yojl4lpC4a

If you just want to see it, download the PDF. To actually PLAY with the timeline, download the xmind file. Note that you will need the XMind program to read this.

All changes are live and you can watch me make them (provided you have XMind). The xmind file is also more recent.

Changelog:
6/22/14: Initial Release to GP
8/7/14: Added info about approx date of TDM and cleaned up some stuff.

Enjoy!

AndreRhineDavis
Templar Master

Re: [WIP] Twokinds Timeline

#2 Post by AndreRhineDavis »

I'm afraid that Zylver has beaten you to it!
http://the-werewolfangel.deviantart.com ... -311535725

TinyVoices
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Kat

#3 Post by TinyVoices »

One problem I've observed is that, if anything, it is currently the end of the year (if not middle) rather than the 'early' that you describe it as. Only about 6 months have passed, and since the first page has trees with green leaves on them, and I don't remember a time in the current present that had snow/dead leaves in it, it is most likely Summer/near end of summer in the comic.

I do actually recall noticing errors in Zylver's timeline before, but can't recall what they are exactly at the moment. Ever since we deduced how many days the gang have been on the ship, I've wanted to timeline the entire comic. Might just do that at some point...

Him
The Secret Forum Mod
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#4 Post by Him »

TinyVoices wrote:Might just do that at some point...
Sounds like a lot of fun. Are you actually going to do it?

Kaz
Master

#5 Post by Kaz »

I am very slowly trying to...

I will change the date to end of year.

Reasoning for early next year:
- Keith's Trial was in August
- They've been sailing for a while (I think. Organizing time in real life compared to a once-weekly comic is harder than it looks.)

Also, if anyone has XMind, I will post the source file so you guys can edit it.

AndreRhineDavis
Templar Master

#6 Post by AndreRhineDavis »

TinyVoices wrote:One problem I've observed is that, if anything, it is currently the end of the year (if not middle) rather than the 'early' that you describe it as. Only about 6 months have passed, and since the first page has trees with green leaves on them, and I don't remember a time in the current present that had snow/dead leaves in it, it is most likely Summer/near end of summer in the comic.
Assuming that the months align with the seasons on Mekkan like they do in the *Northern Hemisphere* on Earth, something which does not necessarily need to be true.

Kaz
Master

#7 Post by Kaz »

AndreRhineDavis wrote:Assuming that the months align with the seasons on Mekkan like they do in the *Northern Hemisphere* on Earth, something which does not necessarily need to be true.
For all intensive purposes, I think it would be easier to follow a SIMILAR pattern. We know that in August, the grass is still green, the trees are still lush, et al.

Kaz
Master

#8 Post by Kaz »

AndreRhineDavis wrote:I'm afraid that Zylver has beaten you to it!
Meh. I think it would still be fun to build a new one. Also, this is meant to be a bit more broad.

Note to Zylver:
I am just recently aware of your project, and if you want me to remove this, PM me and I will comply. It was your original idea, and I stole it. I formally apologize for that.

Zylver
Grand Templar

#9 Post by Zylver »

First: if anybody else comes to the timeline's deviant page and writes about "Zen's birthday"... please, have you guys check the date of upload of that thing? S:P Thank you! :grin:

Second:
Kaz wrote:Note to Zylver:
I am just recently aware of your project, and if you want me to remove this, PM me and I will comply. It was your original idea, and I stole it. I formally apologize for that.
Why would I want that? All that stuff belongs to Tom anyway, all I did this for fun :P And if anyone wants to make another timeline, I'm not the person from who should anyone ask permissions. :)

Lastly: Nice work, btw! ;)

Of the four elements, air, earth, water, and fire, man stole only one from the gods.
Fire.
And with it, man forged his will upon the world.
- Anonymus

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#10 Post by avwolf »

TinyVoices wrote:One problem I've observed is that, if anything, it is currently the end of the year (if not middle) rather than the 'early' that you describe it as. Only about 6 months have passed, and since the first page has trees with green leaves on them, and I don't remember a time in the current present that had snow/dead leaves in it, it is most likely Summer/near end of summer in the comic.
Actually, we know that it's getting into autumn because Natani's commented as much, right after dealing with her fall estrus. If it's not early autumn, it's late, late summer.
Kaz wrote:For all intensive purposes
That should be "intents and purposes." You're applying a generalization that should cover all general intentions and normal purposes. If you really meant "intensive purposes," you'd have to be most precise, not most general, because your statements must hold up under the most rigorous standards. Sorry, that particular phrase is becoming a pet peeve of mine.

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#11 Post by Schrodinger »

avwolf wrote:
Kaz wrote:For all intensive purposes
That should be "intents and purposes." You're applying a generalization that should cover all general intentions and normal purposes. If you really meant "intensive purposes," you'd have to be most precise, not most general, because your statements must hold up under the most rigorous standards. Sorry, that particular phrase is becoming a pet peeve of mine.
I'll agree it is quite bothersome when mondegreens slip into common speech.
What was it the spider said to the fly...

imalbert
Master

#12 Post by imalbert »

AndreRhineDavis wrote:I'm afraid that Zylver has beaten you to it!
I've looked over that timeline and have found a few issues with it.

TinyVoices
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Kat

#13 Post by TinyVoices »

avwolf wrote:Actually, we know that it's getting into autumn because Natani's commented as much, right after dealing with her fall estrus. If it's not early autumn, it's late, late summer.
I was technically correct; the best kind of correct.
AndreRhineDavis wrote:Assuming that the months align with the seasons on Mekkan like they do in the *Northern Hemisphere* on Earth, something which does not necessarily need to be true.
Well, I suppose that assumption is a dangerous one, considering the world map has no defined equator visible. And even then, there are regional climates, planetary rotation, and yes how people view the months and parts of the year.

From what Avwolf mentioned, it seems possible that at least some keidran use "cold season" kind of titles for the parts of the year. Maybe their year ends at the start of Spring? (No basis for this, but maybe they do something like that) Or maybe they aren't as spacial as us. Who knows what the humans do, as well. Increments of time have only been listed as weeks and months, but I don't think anyone has even defined what those are yet. A week could be eight days and months are as long as a normal February is here.

So, yes, "it's not quite fall yet, so it must be about a quarter to a third of a year away from the conclusion of the year" is a weak statement.

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#14 Post by avwolf »

TinyVoices wrote:From what Avwolf mentioned, it seems possible that at least some keidran use "cold season" kind of titles for the parts of the year. Maybe their year ends at the start of Spring? (No basis for this, but maybe they do something like that) Or maybe they aren't as spacial as us. Who knows what the humans do, as well.
Keidran count time in seasons. (Apparently "Hot Season" and "Cold Season" I guess?)

In general, it's probably safe to assume the units of time in Twokinds are going to be roughly equivalent to those in our world. Time is an easy touchstone for the audience, and if you play with units of time without making it obvious, you throw your readership way off and confuse them unnecessarily. The months might be named different things, or have slightly different counts of days (maybe they're all 30-day months for ease of recordkeeping, for instance), but the length of a month or a week or a day or a year will be close enough to what we consider a month, week, day, or year to keep us from being confused.

-- Edit --
TinyVoices wrote:
avwolf wrote:Actually, we know that it's getting into autumn because Natani's commented as much, right after dealing with her fall estrus. If it's not early autumn, it's late, late summer.
The Bureaucracy has begun the filing for thanking your for your attention to technical correctness. Limbo ability will not be brought into consideration, per Title VII, Section D15.4, Paragraph 213.

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#15 Post by Schrodinger »

avwolf wrote:
TinyVoices wrote:
The Bureaucracy has begun the filing for thanking your for your attention to technical correctness. Limbo ability will not be brought into consideration, per Title VII, Section D15.4, Paragraph 213.
All forms to be filled in triplicate with the recipient of thanks receiving the top copy for their personal records.
What was it the spider said to the fly...