Video Editor

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

xamali
Grand Templar

Video Editor

#1 Post by xamali »

So, basically I searched a bit, and couldn't find any Free Software Video Editor that really called my attention. Do any of you guys have experience with video editing tools? Could you share hints? What's the best free video editing out there, in your opinion?
Fear is not "evil". It is to know your own weakness. If you know your weakness, people can become strong as well as gentle.
2Kinds Portuguese Translation

TraLi
Traveler

Re: Video Editor

#2 Post by TraLi »

Kind of a shot in the dark, but I'll try to answer this question. For a better answer, I will need you to answer the following questions: What OS? What kind of editing do you wish to do (describe your workflow)? What kind of source and output formats?

On Windows, I recommend you look into VirtualDub. It's geared more towards linear editing (vs. nonlinear), but it allows you to process audio and video with filters and encode quite well. Expandable with plugins. Encodes to whatever DirectShow codecs (maybe also Video for Windows codecs?) you have installed, recommend pairing with ffdshow-tryouts.

On Mac, use iMovie. It's a simple interface, but deceptively powerful. Works best with consumer video camera sources.

There are plenty of free video editors in Linux. I'll let you know when I find one that works.

Avidemux claims to be a free and cross-platform video editor. I have yet to get it to do anything but crash. Maybe you could have better luck than I.

For DVD ripping, use Handbrake. It is a beautiful program.

ffmpeg (on which ffdshow, Handbrake, and countless other projects are based) is a command line multimedia Swiss Army knife. Hard to learn, rarely properly documented, can do practically anything.

doom9 has a wealth of video encoding knowledge, though their stated goal is DVD ripping and not general video editing.

xamali
Grand Templar

Re: Video Editor

#3 Post by xamali »

Thanks for the answer, I'll have a loom at them :grin:
Fear is not "evil". It is to know your own weakness. If you know your weakness, people can become strong as well as gentle.
2Kinds Portuguese Translation