The Game Maker Game Engine

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

InceptionBwaaa
Grand Templar

The Game Maker Game Engine

#1 Post by InceptionBwaaa »

So, I recently discovered a cool little piece of software called Game Maker. It is exactly as it sounds: it enables you to make a cute little game, be it sidescroller, Pac-Man rip, ping pong or something completely different without typing out lines and lines of code. Of course, you still have to type out code for the particularly advanced games, but for the most part, it's all pre formatted to fit together perfectly, as long as you know what you're doing.

I don't. I just like to dick around with it because it's fun to make an MLG parody of Sonic.exe, especially if it's called Sanic.mlg.

SO.. does anyone else here like to use Game Maker?

PS: you can get it at yoyogames.com. It is free, yes.
Certified Jojo fan
"She's a keeper!" ~Firekeeper
Stardust Crusaders banner coming soon.
Zelda x Palutena is the one true ship.

DarkTheImmortal
Overlord of Space & Time
Location: Somewhere between life, death, and a grilled cheese sandwich.

Re: The Game Maker Game Engine

#2 Post by DarkTheImmortal »

no, I don't use it, but I have used it once. And if I recall, it's not completely free. There's a free version of it, but to be able to do more with it, you have to pay.

I don't actually have it, but for games like that, I prefer Multimedia Fusion 2. I found it much easier to use, and it's practically the same thing. Now thinking about it, I probably find it easier because I took a game development class that used it, and Game Maker I taught myself in my Tech Class when I had nothing to do.

What I really use, and actually own, is RPG Maker VX Ace. Very simple to use, and you can even add actual scripts in, unlike the events you make in things like GM and MMF2.

But either way, I know how to use all 3.

PS: I also checked the packages for GM, you can do a LOT more (mostly multi-platform exports, but still) if you get the paid version, but it is very expensive.