Buying a controller for a friend

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

MeaCulpa, S.C.M.
The Last Gunslinger

Buying a controller for a friend

#1 Post by MeaCulpa, S.C.M. »

I'm trying to find a controller for PC gaming with a Dualshock 2/3 layout that uses 360 drivers. He's tried installing a DS3 driver and it didn't work out. I'd walk him through it but we're currently in separate states.

He's tried a bunch of youtube tutorials for installing DS3 stuff to no avail, so I'm wondering if there's 360-driver based controllers out there with a dualshock-ish layout.
VERY, GOOD

DarkTheImmortal
Overlord of Space & Time
Location: Somewhere between life, death, and a grilled cheese sandwich.

Re: Buying a controller for a friend

#2 Post by DarkTheImmortal »

It doesn't use 360 drivers, but this is what I use. cheap, but very good quality.

It's also plug-and-play. Plug it in, it will automatically install the drivers, then full use with any game with controller support.

Combined with this, you can play ANY game with it, as long as you set up the bindings properly. Even games that don't normally have controller support.

Just make sure your friend knows what the switch on the back does. It's explained in the small manual that comes with it, and is VERY important to make sure it's on the right setting depending on if you're using normal controller support or the gaming software.

EDIT: forget the software, this model isn't supported on this version of the software. I'm lucky I still have the old version.

Myperson54
The Imagineer

#3 Post by Myperson54 »

MeaCulpa, S.C.M. wrote:I'm trying to find a controller for PC gaming with a Dualshock 2/3 layout that uses 360 drivers. He's tried installing a DS3 driver and it didn't work out. I'd walk him through it but we're currently in separate states.

He's tried a bunch of youtube tutorials for installing DS3 stuff to no avail, so I'm wondering if there's 360-driver based controllers out there with a dualshock-ish layout.
I know for a fact that this works: http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-XInput-W ... Controller

I use it myself with my Dualshock 3 (Wired) on two separate computers, with Windows 7 and 8.

I am become salt, destroyer of memes

Join the Unofficial 2k Discord Channel!

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

#4 Post by SirSlaughter »

From what I understand using a Dualshock 4 with Xpadder or something similar is a great way to go.
The Dualshock 4 plugs in and I've gotten reports it works really well.

I myself would go with an xbox controller but if you prefer the Dualshock layout, I would highly suggest the 4. The triggers are so nice and everything is such an improvement from the previous controller (Except that touch pad thing....).

I use a 360 wired and an Xbone wireless (plug it in using micro USB)) and so far they work great for me.

MeaCulpa, S.C.M.
The Last Gunslinger

#5 Post by MeaCulpa, S.C.M. »

DarkTheImmortal wrote:It doesn't use 360 drivers, but this is what I use. cheap, but very good quality.

It's also plug-and-play. Plug it in, it will automatically install the drivers, then full use with any game with controller support.

Combined with this, you can play ANY game with it, as long as you set up the bindings properly. Even games that don't normally have controller support.

Just make sure your friend knows what the switch on the back does. It's explained in the small manual that comes with it, and is VERY important to make sure it's on the right setting depending on if you're using normal controller support or the gaming software.

EDIT: forget the software, this model isn't supported on this version of the software. I'm lucky I still have the old version.
You have been chosen. Controller acquired. Thanks!
VERY, GOOD