Rant/Vent/sad thread

Anything and everything.

Moderator: Moderators

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

Re: Rant/Vent/sad thread

#19891 Post by Bellhead »

Second blackout in a week without a single storm.

Also, this neighborhood is basically the perfect setting for a horror flick when the power goes out at night. Absolute darkness, but close enough to the city that you can't see many stars. And here I was, with a kerosene Deitz and Monarch railroad lantern, standing on the side of the road. Waiting.

One last thing. Can anybody explain to me why poking the transformer with an eight-foot pole is a necessary part of the repair process? This makes no sense to me.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Moniker Pending
New Citizen

#19892 Post by Moniker Pending »

After so many years of pushing me in all of the wrong directions, and refusing for so long to acknowledge any and all evidence, including my own words, that should have made it obvious to her that she was only keeping me down and hurting me with her misguided efforts, only to finally realize a few hours ago that my problems don't already have a solution, my own mother has stopped denying a truth of her own...

My mother has stopped pretending that she actually cares about me.

After all this time she's spent trying to find someone who could just point us to some already-discovered knowledge, going to whatever doctors she found online and hoping for some pill, technique, or whatever that would fix me right up, and never even considering or caring about what was really going on that could make me the way I am, now that she realizes that no one has the answer yet, she has just given up on trying to help me at all. Now that she has finally realized that I am different, that treating me like everyone else won't solve anything, and that my answer has yet to be found, she has finally given up on me.

I had figured out that she was in this denial a while back, and so my pain has been spread out over a longer period of time, which is why I'm not as devastated as one would think I should be, given the circumstances. Still... it hurts.

Warrl
Grand Templar

#19893 Post by Warrl »

Bellhead wrote:One last thing. Can anybody explain to me why poking the transformer with an eight-foot pole is a necessary part of the repair process? This makes no sense to me.
Speculation: if you have one end of the pole attached to a good grounding point, and there's a conductive shaft through the pole, then when you poke at the defunct transformer you learn something very important about it - whether its exterior is electrically charged. Which is something you would prefer to know BEFORE you touch it yourself.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#19894 Post by Bellhead »

Warrl wrote:
Bellhead wrote:One last thing. Can anybody explain to me why poking the transformer with an eight-foot pole is a necessary part of the repair process? This makes no sense to me.
Speculation: if you have one end of the pole attached to a good grounding point, and there's a conductive shaft through the pole, then when you poke at the defunct transformer you learn something very important about it - whether its exterior is electrically charged. Which is something you would prefer to know BEFORE you touch it yourself.
This was the last thing he did to it before he left.

EDIT: Three times in a week. I have about 15 minutes before they cut it again. Frustrating.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Twippit
Grand Templar
Location: At a table top in a remote part of WA playing a high-stakes game of strip DnD

#19895 Post by Twippit »

midnightblink wrote:
SperoWolf wrote:
asphere8 wrote:That's funny, I was told the same thing!
[Generic conspiracy theory background music]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzlG28B-R8Y
Or this
Or this
Hey. Been a while. I'm on discord at Twippit#9645. See ya around sometime, maybe.

asphere8
Master

#19896 Post by asphere8 »

Twippit wrote: Or this
This is everywhere now. Why does it exist and why is it stuck in my head?
Sometimes, I wish I could art.

Twippit
Grand Templar
Location: At a table top in a remote part of WA playing a high-stakes game of strip DnD

#19897 Post by Twippit »

asphere8 wrote:
Twippit wrote: Or this
This is everywhere now. Why does it exist and why is it stuck in my head?
Because it is liquid greatness.
Hey. Been a while. I'm on discord at Twippit#9645. See ya around sometime, maybe.

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#19898 Post by The Rookie »

Yay, had to have some blood taken for some test today... Always a good way to start the day.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

ButterBall
Grand Templar

#19899 Post by ButterBall »

Cruisin' the net at the Super High Speeds of 25 KB/s.

Ain't no one around that can match these sick speeds!
*Used to be a guy people knew at one time.*
Avatar by druanderson. Some things are very NSFW.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#19900 Post by Bellhead »

My Jeep is in pieces, the sink is full of dishes to wash, I'm tired, I have a headache, I can't watch the stream I want to watch, and I can't install a better browser for it because apparently "administrator permissions" don't have access when I'm the only person on the computer. Oh, and I'm covered in motor oil, running low on Boraxo, and my arm has been slowly bleeding for the past few hours.

This is, of course, aside from the fact that my car is a piece of crap that won't hold oil or winshield squirt to save my life.

Thanks for listening.

puredeathly
Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: Flora

#19901 Post by puredeathly »

Bellhead wrote:My Jeep is in pieces, the sink is full of dishes to wash, I'm tired, I have a headache, I can't watch the stream I want to watch, and I can't install a better browser for it because apparently "administrator permissions" don't have access when I'm the only person on the computer. Oh, and I'm covered in motor oil, running low on Boraxo, and my arm has been slowly bleeding for the past few hours.

This is, of course, aside from the fact that my car is a piece of crap that won't hold oil or winshield squirt to save my life.

Thanks for listening.
You can install Firefox without admin permissions. It will ask for them but it will still work without them (It just installs it only for your user instead of the whole system and you can't set it as default browser).

asphere8
Master

#19902 Post by asphere8 »

SperoWolf wrote:Was in first place in agar.io for about twelve minutes even though my game glitched and I was stuck zoomed in at least x2

My machine started lagging

Then it froze

Then I'm welcomed by this
Spoiler!
I think this is what ritual seppuku was invented for, right?
Were you loading or rendering a video with that Windows Movie Maker I see open? Computers tend to have a hard time doing anything when rendering a video.

asphere8
Master

#19903 Post by asphere8 »

SperoWolf wrote:
asphere8 wrote:Were you loading or rendering a video with that Windows Movie Maker I see open? Computers tend to have a hard time doing anything when rendering a video.
Nope, I just had it empty and sitting there. Even Markiplier lags sometimes on Agar.io, and his machine is a beast. It's a server connection problem that can randomly hit players... you know, when they're literally larger than life >.<
Huh. I've never had any serious lag issues with it, but that may be because I only ever played it during my computer programming classes at school, which weren't very long.
They were the easiest classes ever. I finished all the projects in record time and had tonnes of free time to play video games xP

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#19904 Post by Bellhead »

puredeathly wrote:You can install Firefox without admin permissions. It will ask for them but it will still work without them (It just installs it only for your user instead of the whole system and you can't set it as default browser).
That's not what I wanted to do.

W0lfmare was streaming last night on Picarto. Picarto has a really crappy chat system, which cut off the bottom 2 lines of the most recent post in my browser, popout chat included.

I have Firefox 28, and will not update because newer versions look like Chrome. And I won't use Chrome because I HATE Chrome. Explorer wouldn't load it right either. It was suggested that I try Pale Moon and use the tool they have to swap over my favorites. The browser never really seemed to load correctly. I used the tool, and it gave access denied errors, and after I used it, the browser became inoperable.

EDIT:
I am now covered in motor oil because I removed the air hose from the intercooler on my car while underneath it. "It's always done that," he said. "Don't worry about it," he said. I need a new car.

On an unrelated note, my CJ is leaking gear oil from the transfer case. Not really sure how. I mean, I could put gear oil in the transmission, and it will drip out the parking break. I kid you not. Anyway, it has lead to a fully saturated set of brake shoes and a solidified oil layer on both the drum and the plate behind it.
This is effectively what I've got, then the drum goes on and the rear drive shaft comes out of it. And something in there is leaking, bad. And I don't think I can fix it with Jerryrig parts, nor do I think I'll be able to repair a 50-year-old braking system with 5 brake drums and an oil leak that comes from nowhere.
What I need is a time machine so I can go back to 1970 and get the factory issue parts I need. It's frustrating. I was born 30 years too late.

justanUltramarine
Apprentice

#19905 Post by justanUltramarine »

Failed my Bac