Zauberer Decided to Draw!

Post all your artwork here!

Moderator: Moderators

Zauberer
Citizen

Zauberer Decided to Draw!

#1 Post by Zauberer »

I'm always asking others for art, so I figured I'd learn how to draw myself. These are just a few sketches That I did.
Feel free to give feedback and whatnot.

Just some faces
My first full drawing.

supervanman64
Too Curious For His Own Good

Re: Zauberer Decided to Draw!

#2 Post by supervanman64 »

Pretty nice, I must say. :kathrin:

Zauberer
Citizen

#3 Post by Zauberer »

I've been poring over a new drawing book I picked up at Borders. It's interesting because it is actually based around furries.

Draden Draetsu
Master

#4 Post by Draden Draetsu »

O.O!!! Really? What's it called??? I wants I wants!

But, it looks awesome! A lot better than this chick furry I tried to draw... *shiver* it still gives me nightmares! D:

I like the face on the first page a lot! :mrgreen: What species is it?
Trace Legacy wants YOU to join!... his Legacy!

*Visit my music wall here!

Zauberer
Citizen

#5 Post by Zauberer »

Draden Draetsu wrote:O.O!!! Really? What's it called??? I wants I wants!

But, it looks awesome! A lot better than this chick furry I tried to draw... *shiver* it still gives me nightmares! D:

Just a cat. That is actually the best I've done; usually I don't fare so well, but like I said I'm using a new Drawing book. It's called "Draw Furries! - How to create anthropomorphic and fantasy animals."

leoian
Banned
Banned

#6 Post by leoian »

Whoaw That's really nice
=3
:flora:

MasterTemplar
Grand Templar

#7 Post by MasterTemplar »

Zauberer wrote:
Draden Draetsu wrote:O.O!!! Really? What's it called??? I wants I wants!

Just a cat. That is actually the best I've done; usually I don't fare so well, but like I said I'm using a new Drawing book. It's called "Draw Furries! - How to create anthropomorphic and fantasy animals."
>>
<<
>>
*gets on ebay*
ImageImage

Frokusblakah
Master

#8 Post by Frokusblakah »

Most of those drawing books aren't as good as you think. Trust me, I learned the hard way. They mostly teach you cheap tricks rather then real drawing skills that you can apply to everything. You should get one of those big, boring (in some people's opinion), thick books full of real anatomy and start there. Then work your way up! =P

SlowFag recommended some Burne Hogarth books to me and they've really helped.

Also, don't be afraid to use references. Trying to draw everything from imagination can be hard! I am absolutely terrible with feet, for example, so I've been spending my time lately flipping through model magazines and studying feet. References can help you build up your understanding of how something can bend and twist and how it will look from different angles. You can supplement that with building your knowledge of anatomy! You'll gain a lot more from that in the long run that you will from those "how to draw" books that are 20 or 30 pages long and teach you how to draw a few things from certain angles without getting into the details of why you draw them that way.

This is all from personal experience and advice from others. I wasted a lot of time and money on those cheap "how to draw" books when I was younger and I don't have a lot to show for it (it actually led to me not drawing for several years because I gave up after seeing very little improvement once I tried to move past the "cheap tricks"). Once I broke down and started practicing with real anatomy and studying I've seen vast improvements.
If you watch Jaws backwards it is just a movie about a shark that throws people up until they have to open a beach.
Color that fox!
Narwhals, Narwhals, swimmin' in the ocean!

Zauberer
Citizen

#9 Post by Zauberer »

Frokusblakah wrote:Most of those drawing books aren't as good as you think. Trust me, I learned the hard way. They mostly teach you cheap tricks rather then real drawing skills that you can apply to everything. You should get one of those big, boring (in some people's opinion), thick books full of real anatomy and start there. Then work your way up! =P
Yeah, I've been warned about the "how to draw" books. I mostly use the one I was talking about for things that have been giving me trouble, like muzzles and tails and such. Thanks for the advice, and I actually have been trying to find some good anatomy sources. Are there any sites that come to mind?

Frokusblakah
Master

#10 Post by Frokusblakah »

Zauberer wrote:
Frokusblakah wrote:Most of those drawing books aren't as good as you think. Trust me, I learned the hard way. They mostly teach you cheap tricks rather then real drawing skills that you can apply to everything. You should get one of those big, boring (in some people's opinion), thick books full of real anatomy and start there. Then work your way up! =P
Yeah, I've been warned about the "how to draw" books. I mostly use the one I was talking about for things that have been giving me trouble, like muzzles and tails and such. Thanks for the advice, and I actually have been trying to find some good anatomy sources. Are there any sites that come to mind?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0823015521?tag ... 0823015521

That is the specific book that SF recommended and while it was kind of daunting jumping into it first (information overload!) it is really nice to have once you get rolling. It is very thorough and very specific.

Also, like I said, just try looking at people. Even magazines with pictures of people, just look at their bodies and how they curve and bend, look for a lot of different poses. Look at people in real life. Use yourself even. I pose my own hands all the time when I need references for them if I'm doing a drawing where I want a hand that looks like a real hand. =P

This might seem creepy but one of the things I've been doing lately between classes is sitting in the library at my college and sketching people as they read and what not. Most of the time people don't move a lot while they read, so beyond looking like some sort of weirdo staring at people it has been fun. Haha.
If you watch Jaws backwards it is just a movie about a shark that throws people up until they have to open a beach.
Color that fox!
Narwhals, Narwhals, swimmin' in the ocean!