Small Scale Writing Questions (All Welcome)

Post all your stories, poems, and haiku's here!

Moderator: Moderators

red.wolf
Merchant

Small Scale Writing Questions (All Welcome)

#1 Post by red.wolf »

So this is just a random thing I figured I'd make giving people a chance to ask any general questions about writing in these forums. Anythings fair game and I would like to think other writers will hop on the chance to share what they know, learned and have experienced. So if anyone has a problem with any part of their writing or just want to know what it's like post what you want to know and I'm sure someone will answer or help. One big reason I'm doing this is because I enjoy reading on these forums along side writing so I hope this will help people take the plunge into making their own stories for people to enjoy.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!IF THIS BREAKS SOME FORUM RULE THAT I DO NOT KNOW FEEL FREE TO LOCK AND TAKE IT DOWN.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The first shot is not the one that matters. The last shot determines everything.

http://twokinds.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=18223---- Both Sides > My Fanfic
Both Sides: A TwoKinds Fan-fiction

Neutral Smith
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Saria's father

Re: Small Scale Writing Questions (All Welcome)

#2 Post by Neutral Smith »

I had found a nice writing guide, but I have forgotten to bookmark the link. Does someone know good writing guides? (and somehow the one I found is not in my browsing history / Google search history)

I have some trouble with dialogues, I still can not find a nice way of writing them down.

At this moment I write it in a 'do something else while you talk' way, with a lot of described facial expressions, and because I always have trouble following stories I always write down who says something. I don't like it, but I don't know a better way, maybe someone else has a hint?
My story is more 'talk' driven than 'action' driven, maybe that's the problem.

I'm not commenting other stories, I'm just going to comment the way they are written:

Human & Lupusad - Of Men and Wolves A lot of white lines on my screen, but I like the way of writing, nice detailing.
Both Sides Tk fanfic- WARNING Violence, Language ect. Huge paragraphs, but the use of the [ paragraph] tag makes it look 'jumpy', with a lot of single words sticking out on the left side when I read it full-screen.
War of the Dark Ones (repost) Even more white lines.
untitled (because I'm bad at giving titles) Looks like huge paragraphs, but it's a style I like. I think I will edit my story when it's finished in it's current style this way, every spoken sentence and bigger action/thought on a new line. Or someone must have a better example I can follow.
If it moves but shouldn't: Duct tape. If it doesn't move but should: WD-40. With a hammer everything fits, and if it still doesn't fit: bigger hammer. If it can't be fixed with a hammer it's an electrical problem.

red.wolf
Merchant

#3 Post by red.wolf »

I really haven't looked into guides much myself, i just jumped into my first story with the thought it might not work out too well and I could learn from it. The dialog style I use apparently inst as good as I thought if its formatting weird but it gets the point across enough to at least finish this story.
The first shot is not the one that matters. The last shot determines everything.

red.wolf
Merchant

#4 Post by red.wolf »

Ok here is something I have some problems with. Planned events in a story line have problems lining up with realistic timing. The only way to get this timing down is with filler that can come off rather rough as seen in my story on a few occasions. Now my question to other writers is how do you combat making unappealing filler but at the same time not making filler that draws the story away from the events that are to come?

Jonesy
Templar Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#5 Post by Jonesy »

Neutral Smith wrote:Human & Lupusad - Of Men and Wolves A lot of white lines on my screen, but I like the way of writing, nice detailing.
The main reason for that is to avoid clumping things into massive paragraphs. Also helps in dialogue, since I like to have a new line / paragraph every time a different character speaks. It's easier to show who is talking, and also means there doesn't need to be as constant reminders (like there would be if multiple lines from different characters were delivered in the same paragraph).
red.wolf wrote:Ok here is something I have some problems with. Planned events in a story line have problems lining up with realistic timing. The only way to get this timing down is with filler that can come off rather rough as seen in my story on a few occasions. Now my question to other writers is how do you combat making unappealing filler but at the same time not making filler that draws the story away from the events that are to come?
With filler, I find that it happens when I'm seeking to achieve a certain series of events or development before the end of the chapter, which do little more than support much more interesting ones later on. I always seem to do this in second chapters; the first chapter is always a good start, and the third a return to form. But the second never feels quite as substantial or interesting. I don't exactly have a fixed plan for filler, but in retrospect I tend to focus on the necessary developments and add some interesting character development and world-building to keep the reader engaged and their understanding continuing to develop.

red.wolf
Merchant

#6 Post by red.wolf »

I'm really hoping to see this thread become a helpful list of mistakes and good discoveries of writing for would be writers so throwing out a topic here

Thoughts on awkward content. We all have those parts where were not sure if it's going to be comfortable for all readers.

Jonesy
Templar Master

#7 Post by Jonesy »

red.wolf wrote:Thoughts on awkward content. We all have those parts where were not sure if it's going to be comfortable for all readers.
I think it just takes time. Sometimes I need to rework something to make it fit, or leave it until a later chapter. There was something I had in the second chapter of Human & Lupusad initially, which I've since put back three chapters. It was too much, too soon. Even now, it's taken a bit of work to get it right.

InceptionBwaaa
Grand Templar

#8 Post by InceptionBwaaa »

Neutral Smith wrote:I had found a nice writing guide, but I have forgotten to bookmark the link. Does someone know good writing guides? (and somehow the one I found is not in my browsing history / Google search history)

I have some trouble with dialogues, I still can not find a nice way of writing them down.

At this moment I write it in a 'do something else while you talk' way, with a lot of described facial expressions, and because I always have trouble following stories I always write down who says something. I don't like it, but I don't know a better way, maybe someone else has a hint?

I'm not commenting other stories, I'm just going to comment the way they are written:

Human & Lupusad - Of Men and Wolves A lot of white lines on my screen, but I like the way of writing, nice detailing.
Both Sides Tk fanfic- WARNING Violence, Language ect. Huge paragraphs, but the use of the [ paragraph] tag makes it look 'jumpy', with a lot of single words sticking out on the left side when I read it full-screen.
untitled (because I'm bad at giving titles) Looks like huge paragraphs, but it's a style I like. I think I will edit my story when it's finished in it's current style this way, every spoken sentence and bigger action/thought on a new line. Or someone must have a better example I can follow.
Not quite sure what 'white lines' means. Is it just that there's a [censored] ton of dialogue? Cause I like dialogue, and I'm bad at action scenes.
Certified Jojo fan
"She's a keeper!" ~Firekeeper
Stardust Crusaders banner coming soon.
Zelda x Palutena is the one true ship.

Jonesy
Templar Master

#9 Post by Jonesy »

InceptionBwaaa wrote:
Neutral Smith wrote:I had found a nice writing guide, but I have forgotten to bookmark the link. Does someone know good writing guides? (and somehow the one I found is not in my browsing history / Google search history)

Not quite sure what 'white lines' means. Is it just that there's a [censored] ton of dialogue? Cause I like dialogue, and I'm bad at action scenes.
I think he means that there's a lot of space between lines and paragraphs.

red.wolf
Merchant

#10 Post by red.wolf »

Been having trouble getting in the writing mood, anyone have a way they use to focus and really be willing to write?

InceptionBwaaa
Grand Templar

#11 Post by InceptionBwaaa »

red.wolf wrote:Been having trouble getting in the writing mood, anyone have a way they use to focus and really be willing to write?
I generally watch a movie with a real touching story for any upcoming emotional scenes. I also listen to music like Theophany - Lovers' Mask. For the opposite, the opposite. I listen to Theophany - Clocktown! I watch Despicable Me! You know, just do stuff beforehand that semi-relates kinda to your story a bit.
Certified Jojo fan
"She's a keeper!" ~Firekeeper
Stardust Crusaders banner coming soon.
Zelda x Palutena is the one true ship.

Winter-huntsman
Templar

#12 Post by Winter-huntsman »

I have an issue where I don't write enough for a large event. I recently noticed this when I read what I had so far. I reliasied how short my large events we're, they were only a few sentences. I have been re writing them lately. Anyone have a clue what to do to make sure I have enough detail, but not chapters on sone event. :kathrin: :eric:
"Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine"-Ludwig van Beethoven

red.wolf
Merchant

#13 Post by red.wolf »

Winter-huntsman wrote:I have an issue where I don't write enough for a large event. I recently noticed this when I read what I had so far. I reliasied how short my large events we're, they were only a few sentences. I have been re writing them lately. Anyone have a clue what to do to make sure I have enough detail, but not chapters on sone event. :kathrin: :eric:
Yea I have the same problem so ive been writing little 1 evwnt stories in my free time in an attempt to practice at lengthening single large events. Best thing to fill up space and keep readers with you in imagery. Describe the things around that you can. My key example would be some of my fight stories with Both Sides. Over describe and make the reader see it.

Neutral Smith
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Saria's father

#14 Post by Neutral Smith »

*Bump*

Found a couple of useful sites. I have not read them all, but I will when I have the time.

Yes I am aware of the [ url] tag, but I prefer this kind of links 'exposed' so you can immediately see where you will be going if you click.

http://jerz.setonhill.edu/writing/creative1/
Great site with examples. http://jerz.setonhill.edu/writing/creat ... /#dialogue is very useful for me.

http://writeitsideways.com/
Lots of useful links, especially in http://writeitsideways.com/101-of-the-b ... ps-part-i/ (and the other parts)

http://www.dailywritingtips.com/
I haven't read them all.

http://www.thecreativepenn.com/
For me http://www.thecreativepenn.com/2014/01/ ... -dialogue/ http://www.thecreativepenn.com/2010/05/ ... gue-sucks/ and http://www.thecreativepenn.com/2013/01/ ... -dialogue/ are useful.

http://storyfix.com/
Here might be useful hints. http://storyfix.com/5-creative-flaws-th ... experience is the most useful for me.

http://www.be-a-better-writer.com/
I like the http://www.be-a-better-writer.com/chara ... rator.html because I lack the creativity to come up with new names.

And now back to re-writing of what I have re-written of my ugly brick wall of words. (only one chapter re-written so far, no big loss for me)
The trouble is, I enjoy the writing part. Now I have to turn it into an enjoyable read.

In my mind I am already at the next chapter of my story (lots of chaos there), but I want to make make the first chapters proper before actual writing the next part.
If it moves but shouldn't: Duct tape. If it doesn't move but should: WD-40. With a hammer everything fits, and if it still doesn't fit: bigger hammer. If it can't be fixed with a hammer it's an electrical problem.

Dadrobit
Grand Templar

#15 Post by Dadrobit »

I'm seeing a lot of, "How can I get motivated?" type questions here, and I'm going to give you an answer that you may not like, but here it is.

Stop thinking that motivation will help you write better. It won't!

Motivation is good for teeny tiny bursts of writing, but for the long term, it's next to useless. The thing about motivation is that it only lasts until you aren't motivated anymore, and if you weren't in the first place then it doesn't take much to put you back there. That's probably the reason you're in this thread asking.

What you need is self-control and discipline. You need to be able to say, "Ok, I get off of work at 5:00, so from 6:30 to 7:00 I'm going to write today after relaxing a bit and giving myself a bit of prep time. And then I'm going to do it tomorrow, and the day after that, and every day of the week. Then I'm going to take the weekend off and get back to writing on Monday and continue the pattern for so long as I want to continue writing to get better."

Because guess what, that's what it takes. Learning to write is no different from learning any other skill set. You won't get better at drawing by just looking at picture tutorials, and you won't learn piano by watching Synthesia videos on youtube. It takes actual application of the material to get better, and it takes the willpower to continue doing it over long periods of time to achieve actual skill.

So if you really want to get better at writing here's what you're going to do.

Find at least a half hour out of your weekdays that you otherwise would be doing something nonessential to living, preferably at the same time each day. In your phone, on your watch, and with the second timer on your alarm clock, you are going to set that time to go off every day, and when it goes off, you sit down and start writing, no exceptions. Also have a second timer on your phone to let you know when your half hour is over. Do not cut into your writing time with set up. If you want a drink, (coffee, cocoa, tea, whatever) get it beforehand, and the same goes for setting up any music playlist you might want to listen to.

Oh, and as a general rule to music while writing, unless you are currently writing a high octane scene like a fight or desperate escape or some such, stay away from vigorous music like 2 steps from hell or anything like that. I find they tend to distract more than anything and are more of that instant gratification motivational stuff that you want to stay away from. Find something that's relaxing background material, I know it's cliche, but try something classical in nature. Like, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcR6j_JNwQs

It's going to be hard at first no doubt about it, especially if you're used to needing something motivational to help you along, but it will get easier. If you absolutely -need- some form of motivation, just think of the end result of yourself getting better as your motivation and get writing.

Here are a couple general tips for when you actually get to writing.

-Take off your watch, put a piece of a sticky note over your computer time, and set your phone on a desk/drawer/counter away from you so you don't have the distraction of looking at the time. You are there to write, your half hour will be over when it's over.
-If your time is up but you feel like continuing to write, then -keep writing-! More practice never hurts, that's the entire idea of this exercise.
-Research what you're writing.
-If you find yourself stuck, try and rewrite the situation as a poem, trying alternative mediums can help cultivate new ideas.
-Take the first part of the first day back from your breaks to re-read what you've written, taking a look at older material with fresh eyes is a good way to reveal junk writing you may have not noticed before.
-Read out loud. If you can't read it out loud and have it sound natural, there is probably a better way to word the passage.
-There is always a better way to word everything after the first draft.
-If you're -really- stuck, remember, nothing is permanent, anything can be deleted and rewritten. Do not be afraid to delete and cut some of your writing from time to time, it can be very necessary if you find yourself in a corner, so try not to get too attached.
-If you're -really really- stuck, start a completely new project. Leave the old one alone for a while and come back to it when you think you might be able to continue it. Plus it can be fun to have alternate projects you can switch off from to keep away from stagnation.
-Buy a pocket dictionary and read it. I'm not kidding. Bolstering your vocabulary is paramount to succeeding in writing. Just don't go shoehorning big words into your writing just because you saw it and you liked it. Remember my earlier 'natural' comment.
-Go down to your local community college and see if you can't audit a creative writing class there for free or at a reduced price. Professional help is always a good thing.
-It's OK to have days where you don't get much of anything done in your writing. Everyone has bad days in every occupation, writing is no different. The important thing is that you sat down and tried for your half hour, and that you have the self control to try it again tomorrow.

Now go write something!