The Social Contract

Post all your stories, poems, and haiku's here!

Moderator: Moderators

Myperson54
The Imagineer

The Social Contract

#1 Post by Myperson54 »

Just thought I'd post this here instead of in my art thread.

I just wrote this thing in my art thread, after watching a lot of stuff about Halo and Dust514 and EVE and a few other things. Essentially, this is gonna be high-tech/military sci-fi, following the story of a few people (If I ever get around to actually following up on this.) All things are © me, of course.

Just a few warnings: This story is going to contain violence and swearwords. I'd say that generally, these parts would be rated 14A, but a few parts, such as this first one, contain some thought-provoking imagery. Be warned.
Kjor's Ruminations
10 9 8
Breathe
7 6 5
Breathe
4 3 2
Open eyes
Look out at the world
Sigh
Nothing is ever simple

Kjor looked in front of him, looked at the blob of EMPlasma sitting in the dirt. It glowed ever so faintly, glowed with an orange light, shining upon him and whatever else was in the dark wasteland.
The dirt and the dead.
Of course, Kjor wasn't dead, no more than EMPlasma was actually "plasma." But it would've been nice to be dead. No cares, responsibilities or worries. No weapons, no war, and no death.

No loss.

But here he was now, lying in the dirt, his right arm and leg missing, spinal cord liquefied one-third of the way up his back. Bits of EMPlasma stuck to his body like explosive marmalade, shell casings littered the landscape, grenade pins stuck into the earth like so many deadly tent pegs. He was the tent, war grounding him, keeping him from drifting away, but now he was a marmalade-bullet sandwich and like hell he'd let go.
Kjor was prepared to stay here forever.

His last thought was of his family as he slipped into nothingness.
Now he was with them.

The Social Contract
Sol looked at his screen in annoyance.

Code: Select all

^>{Disconnected From Server}<^
----------------
--< Reconnect? [Unavailable]
--< Debug
--< Terminate Process
Impossible.
His hacks always worked. He sighed and reached into the sub-zero unit beside his desk, pulling out a can of soda. He thawed it to just below two degrees and hit "Debug" on his display. Oh well, it's not like this is the first time I've been disconnected. I'm overreacting.

Sol reached down to a small box at his feet and pulled out a retractable cord. It looked kind of like a pair of earbuds, but they were flat, and odder still, they were, well, wired. He connected the small connectors to a pair of plugs hidden just behind his ears, leaned back in his chair, and closed his eyes.

This little machine was priceless, which was partly due to the fact that it was also very illegal. It was one of three similar boxes on his planet of Dars'l, one planet in four in his sector running these boxes, just one sector in seven which hosted them. This one was important though, because it was Sol's personal one, the one only he could access. The boxes ran servers, forming a cloud network which hosted a very famous and very illegal service.

Sol was in the business of storing thoughts.

The storage of thoughts, or "memory-memory," was originally an idea developed for medical purposes, later improved for military use. The idea was that by uploading a person's "mind-state," one could revive soldiers killed in action. Just pop them into a new body and send them off again! The humanitarian concerns raised about the program meant it was voluntary, but there were still millions of soldiers with stored mind-states at the ready.

Civilian access to the network was nonexistent, for obvious reasons, and M-M Servers were illegal to operate, but that didn't stop Sol. His network, "The Social Contract," was the most (in)famous, used by people all over known space, and it required only a small subscription fee to access. Users could unload the things they didn't want to remember, regain experiences and ideas they had stored, all as much as they needed.
Billions of mind-states existed on his network.
Billions of experiences, waiting to be used....
.... Or stolen.

I am become salt, destroyer of memes

Join the Unofficial 2k Discord Channel!

Myperson54
The Imagineer

Re: The Social Contract

#2 Post by Myperson54 »

Well, I've finally gotten around to updating this. The first thing is that you can now find my updated intro on DeviantArt, under the name EvilCoffeeInc, where I think I'll write my story.

Secondly, I have a short story post! I don't think it really counts as a good story, structure-wise, but it has a climax, so there we go! Good enough!

Anyways, I dunno if it'll be part of The Social Contract, but here it is!

EDIT: It would be really cool if I could get some comments and critiques on my writing. I really want to become better than I already am. I think EvilNinja was looking for proofreading to do...?

~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~

Sameness

Far in the deep reaches of space, two men stared pensively at a sphere. Technically it wasn't a sphere, more of a rounded puzzle made of interlocking bars. One of the men, the taller one, was sitting on a weathered Chesterfield. The other was standing behind a short table, on which the sphere lay.

"Do you know what it is?" Asked the sitting one.

"No idea, sir. It's pretty, but not something I'm familiar with."

"I am," replied the sitting one, the superior one. "I know exactly what it is. Took some digging, but I was able to pull some information from old rumours."
The standing man gulped visibly, in anticipation, and he shifted in place.

"Tales say of an old research station on the mountain planet of Tarn 4. It was one of the first human colonies. Rumour has it they were building a device which could convert energy from one form to another with no diffusion or energy loss. No danger of entropy or wasted energy.

"Then, one day, local news reported an explosion at the station. Large parts of the facility were missing, and the mountain it was built into had collapsed. At the middle of it all was an object much like the one we have here, entirely undamaged, and humming ever so slightly. Reports also stated that its energy levels were astronomically high, enough to power a titanic-class cruiser. The story was covered up, the object was fired into a gas giant, and it faded into legend."

The man reclined in his seat. "That is what we have here, or so I believe."

"When you say parts of the facility were missing, what do you mean? They blew up?"
The reclined man shook his head.

"I'm glad you picked up on that. No, they didn't blow up. They weren't disintegrated, and the area was scanned for trans-warp energy readings. No, I mean a whole section of the laboratory, the machines, and personell in that area suddenly went missing. The explosion was caused by a sudden release of thermal energy soon after.

"Now, you're the science officer on this ship. What do you think happened?"
The science officer put a hand to his chin and looked at the ceiling.

"It would seem their experiment worked a bit too well, captain. Or rather, both too well and not well enough. Do... Do you really think this is it?"

The captain nodded. "I know it is. See the lines etched into the the flat sides of the object? Those are fractally detailed, down to the molecular level. That's the first clue. The second is a message written in Corodial Hex, cleverly placed into the hexagon-shaped fractal patterns. When translated into Binary, then Earth Latin Standard Text, it spells out "C'est bien," or "It is good."

The science officer perked up.

"Wouldn't local tradition state that.... God said that?"

"After creating the world, a perfect one, yes," the captain nodded. "It seems that whatever went wrong with the device has been rectified, and by a group which knows Corodial Hex."

"I... How long have you been working on this Captain?"

He looked up.

"Two straight cycles. Why? I feel fine, if that's what you're wondering."

The officer seemed taken aback.

"Captain, as the science officer aboard, I really should have the opportunity to identify any hazards before-"

"Oh, calm yourself, officer. This ain't no fancy Explorer's Guild ship. Pirates' Law says I keep it. Pass me a five-chip."

"I-"

"Did you not hear me? Pass me a five-chip!"

The captain picked up the sphere and began to toss it to himself. His officer threw over a coin, and without warning, he grabbed the sphere with two hands, prying it into two three-pronged halves. A beam of blue light passed between the two halves, and as the chip flew between them, it slowed, then stopped. As it came to rest, the captain applied pressure with surprising difficulty, forcing the halves together. Suddenly, he jerked back in his chair as if he were having a seizure.

"Captain!" cried the science officer, "Are you alright? Let go of the sphere!"

"... Can't...." came the belaboured reply. After almost ten full seconds of thrashing about, the captain came to a standstill, or rather, a sit-still. Breathing heavily, he panted, "Feel it.... It feels... Alive." Horrified, the science officer had the sphere thrust upon him. He took a quick scan with the analyzer on his goggles.

"Apparently it contains four hundred and forty-nine point five Terrajoules of an unknown form of energy. If I were to postulate, I'd say that it has converted five grams of plastic into... well, pure energy." He looked at the captain.

"The universe just got much more complex."

I am become salt, destroyer of memes

Join the Unofficial 2k Discord Channel!