5 Nights at freddy's

For all your seizure inducing goodness!

Moderator: Moderators

The Rookie
Grand Templar

5 Nights at freddy's

#1 Post by The Rookie »

Hey guys
So a few weeks ago this little indie horror game popped up called 5 Nights at freddy's, where you play as a night shift security guard at a parody Chuck e Cheese place who's job is to basically watch over the cameras and make sure no one breaks in and steals anything.
However, after midnight the animatronic animals sort of come to life and slowly make their way to the security room. If they manage to get to you.. Well, they'll try to stuff you into your own personal robot animal chassis.

Anyway, from the game play I've seen, it gets pretty damn stressful trying to monitor the animal's movements while tying to juggle your limited power supply between your cameras, lights and doors in a frantic attempt to keep from becoming stuffed into a robotic singing puppet.

If you're interested in maybe watching a lets play or two in this game I've put a few links below
Markiplier - Here
Gavin and Michael from RT/AH - Here
Inside Gaming (Machinima) -And here
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Ketzal
Templar GrandMaster

Re: 5 Nights at freddy's

#2 Post by Ketzal »

I like the combination of jump scares and more subtle horror like paranoia that this game has. The atmosphere that it sets up easily puts you on edge, while the disturbing look of the animatrons that you spot on camera just make you dread their approach even more. I had a hard time even watching a playthrough of this, let alone play it myself >.>

Envy661
Envy x Banned Forever
Location: Back in the Yamaku Dorms, cuddlin' it up with Emi where I belong.

#3 Post by Envy661 »

I think by now anyone who watches Markiplier (Tom's brother), has seen Five Nights at Freddy's. It is definitely up there with some of the best horror games, but I do still find it a tad repetitive and too jumpscare-centric.
ɔıƃol ʎʌuǝ ǝsnɐɔǝq
deviantART | Steam Account | Forum Sigs | Otaku Streamers
Message me for access to the Twokinds Unoffical Official Skype Chat!

Bachaddict
Apprentice

#4 Post by Bachaddict »

It's basically the new Slenderman, but with less gameplay.
|This box is too sm|

Envy661
Envy x Banned Forever

#5 Post by Envy661 »

Bachaddict wrote:It's basically the new Slenderman, but with less gameplay.
That would imply slenderman was ever scary... Or that there was ever a good slenderman game.
Sorry, Slendy just isn't up to snuff.
ɔıƃol ʎʌuǝ ǝsnɐɔǝq

Bachaddict
Apprentice

#6 Post by Bachaddict »

Envy661 wrote:
That would imply slenderman was ever scary... Or that there was ever a good slenderman game.
I haven't played either game . I meant it's a basic game that everyone is taking about.
|This box is too sm|

Envy661
Envy x Banned Forever

#7 Post by Envy661 »

Bachaddict wrote:
Envy661 wrote:
I haven't played either game . I meant it's a basic game that everyone is taking about.
There's a ton of slenderman games, but slenderman isn't really a concept that fits well in a game.

Slenderman is a lot like the boogyman. He was never really designed to be a videogame character. I highly recommend you look into a youtube series called 'Marble Hornets' to see what I mean. Slendy isn't a game idea. Slendy is a monster idea like any other monster idea, and people thought it was a good idea to make him into a game.

Five Nights at Freddy's is a little different. It's like a Chuck-e-cheese nightmare and you're the kid locked in the building. Everything is scarier at night sort of thing. It's an interesting and actually fairly original game. The use of a 90s CGI style for the game graphics was really nice, imho, and helped bring the game together. Reminds me of something akin to 'I have no mouth, and I must scream'. It grasps things that most modern "Horror" games, and I use the term very loosely, don't seem to get. It does still fall short simply because it is repetitive and is essentially a one-trick pony in it's horror value, but the progressive difficulty was a nice touch. It would have been BETTER to, instead of making night 7 the ability to choose the difficulty, to instead just keep perpetually increasing the difficulty each night until you inevitably lose, as a true game of this type should be.
ɔıƃol ʎʌuǝ ǝsnɐɔǝq

MeaCulpa, S.C.M.
The Last Gunslinger

#8 Post by MeaCulpa, S.C.M. »

Horror games are interesting to me because they're the only genre that seems to be wholly focused on immersion, especially in the indie scene.

From a purely gameplay standpoint, 5NAF isn't very fun. I don't think anyone would argue that. You manage one resource with only a handful of real options. It's interesting to see Markiplier play through the 20/20/20/20 game in contrast to how he reacts during his other videos. (I HIGHLY suggest Markiplier's playthrough of 5NAT, and subscribing to him in general if you're into scare-cam LPs. Of all the 7 digit subscriber LPers I think he's by far the most professional. He's good at what he does and he's not afraid to call out bad games when he sees them.) What makes it interesting as a horror game is two things.

1. In most horror games, you're rewarded for panicking. There's a big monster--run from it! That's easy enough to react to as a player and so many horror games don't have an art to them. But 5NAF demands you keep your cool. Your goal is to manage resources and keep the monsters at bay with the camera tool. You've got hallway lights and power doors, all of which take from a valuable and scarce resource that can't be replenished in any way. 5NAF forces you to try and understand a confusing game mechanic. Being analytic is the only way to win, but that's hard when you're scared out of your wits.

2. In doing this, 5NAF makes its horror a game mechanic. There was another game that attempted to do this via Oculus Rift with heart monitors and the like, and was designed as some (rather twisted IMO) form of therapy. I can't recall what it was named, but 5NAF proves that you don't have to use all that advanced technology to make that happen. You just need to design the game to both punish panicking and incite panic. In doing so you create a paradigm where the best way to win is courage, and then winning becomes rewarding because you didn't just overcome a challenging mechanic, you overcome yourself.

I wonder if games outside of the horror genre will be able to tap into that level of immersion, but I don't expect it to happen anytime soon. 5NAF has done something seriously ingenious.
VERY, GOOD

bond84
Stick Animator

#9 Post by bond84 »

5NAT.
What.
FNAF?
That aside, I nearly fully agree aside from personal standpoints.
Would love to have a sig but I don't have anything sig worthy to be honest...

MeaCulpa, S.C.M.
The Last Gunslinger

#10 Post by MeaCulpa, S.C.M. »

yeah sorry I wrote that late at night.
VERY, GOOD

Envy661
Envy x Banned Forever

#11 Post by Envy661 »

I think there's really no such thing as a "Horror" game. There are jumpscare games, suspense games, and games with dark undertones, but nothing that even comes close to earning the title "Horror". To be considered horror, a game really needs to be, well, horrifying. Nothing even comes close.

I don't respect devs who call what their adding to the genre a "Horror Game". That's like saying Dead Space was a horror game, or F.E.A.R. was a horror game. Or Amnesia was a horror game. It just doesn't fit the bill.

To be honest, while all have amazing stories, they're all pretty lame in the scare factor.
"Horror" games are as scary as a wet paper bag.
ɔıƃol ʎʌuǝ ǝsnɐɔǝq

MeaCulpa, S.C.M.
The Last Gunslinger

#12 Post by MeaCulpa, S.C.M. »

I guess I have the opposite opinion. I have trouble finding any movies or books scary after playing lots of horror games. The immersion aspect just blows everything else out of the water for me.

(I found Jacob's Ladder [censored] terrifying though)
VERY, GOOD

Bachaddict
Apprentice

#13 Post by Bachaddict »

Envy661 wrote:I think there's really no such thing as a "Horror" game. There are jumpscare games, suspense games, and games with dark undertones, but nothing that even comes close to earning the title "Horror". To be considered horror, a game really needs to be, well, horrifying. Nothing even comes close.

I don't respect devs who call what their adding to the genre a "Horror Game". That's like saying Dead Space was a horror game, or F.E.A.R. was a horror game. Or Amnesia was a horror game. It just doesn't fit the bill.

To be honest, while all have amazing stories, they're all pretty lame in the scare factor.
"Horror" games are as scary as a wet paper bag.
So horror books and movies are really horrifying? Do you mean most horror games would be better described as terror games?
|This box is too sm|

InceptionBwaaa
Grand Templar

#14 Post by InceptionBwaaa »

MeaCulpa, S.C.M. wrote:Horror games are interesting to me because they're the only genre that seems to be wholly focused on immersion, especially in the indie scene.

From a purely gameplay standpoint, 5NAF isn't very fun. I don't think anyone would argue that. You manage one resource with only a handful of real options. It's interesting to see Markiplier play through the 20/20/20/20 game in contrast to how he reacts during his other videos. (I HIGHLY suggest Markiplier's playthrough of 5NAT, and subscribing to him in general if you're into scare-cam LPs. Of all the 7 digit subscriber LPers I think he's by far the most professional. He's good at what he does and he's not afraid to call out bad games when he sees them.) What makes it interesting as a horror game is two things.

1. In most horror games, you're rewarded for panicking. There's a big monster--run from it! That's easy enough to react to as a player and so many horror games don't have an art to them. But 5NAF demands you keep your cool. Your goal is to manage resources and keep the monsters at bay with the camera tool. You've got hallway lights and power doors, all of which take from a valuable and scarce resource that can't be replenished in any way. 5NAF forces you to try and understand a confusing game mechanic. Being analytic is the only way to win, but that's hard when you're scared out of your wits.

2. In doing this, 5NAF makes its horror a game mechanic. There was another game that attempted to do this via Oculus Rift with heart monitors and the like, and was designed as some (rather twisted IMO) form of therapy. I can't recall what it was named, but 5NAF proves that you don't have to use all that advanced technology to make that happen. You just need to design the game to both punish panicking and incite panic. In doing so you create a paradigm where the best way to win is courage, and then winning becomes rewarding because you didn't just overcome a challenging mechanic, you overcome yourself.

I wonder if games outside of the horror genre will be able to tap into that level of immersion, but I don't expect it to happen anytime soon. 5NAF has done something seriously ingenious.
3 AM is about the time my brain shuts down. It looks like that's when yours begins to truly flourish. Using this, someone could make a horror game... sorry, a "horror" game simulate being a good "horror" game without even needing to be so. Thank you, sir. This will be useful.
Certified Jojo fan
"She's a keeper!" ~Firekeeper
Stardust Crusaders banner coming soon.
Zelda x Palutena is the one true ship.

kellade
Master
Location: Somewhere between the realms of technicolor horses, killer yet adorable animatronics, and reality.

#15 Post by kellade »

So Five Nights At Freddy's 2's demo has been released to a select few. Let's Plays of the first 2 nights are on youtube.
My thoughts (spoilers):
Spoiler!
So far, this game is way, way creepier. The kid animatronic, the puppet, and Bonnie's watching thing are the most scary to me. The jumpscares are a lot more brutal, and I think this game is less likely to bore than the first. I find a few things kinda weird in the game's map. I really don't get why the restaurant would have open air vents in the office, nor do I get why animatronics would crawl through there in the first place. Open windows would've made a bit more sense, to me. Scott certainly went all out to make this game harder, with 10 animatronics total and the fact that most of the characters have no set path and for some, there's no 100% way of making sure they don't kill you. I liked how something about the history of FNAF is implied (or appears to be anyways). The cut scene-like moments really set in the horror atmosphere. I can't wait to find out what they mean. I also am confused by the only known easter egg in the game so far. I like it, but I miss the honk and it doesn't seem to have much of a point (could just be the youtuber not doing it right, but it didn't seem like it could be much anyways). I can't wait to see the rest of the nights and I hope it exceeds the hype.
EDIT: Nevermind, they have the honk. And the "easter eggs" aren't really easter eggs and they are pretty damn genius,