Skylanders

For all your seizure inducing goodness!

Moderator: Moderators

Talaisan
Templar Inner Circle

Skylanders

#1 Post by Talaisan »

I'm trying to decide if this is going to be the worst debacle since Eye of Chaos, or if this is a brilliant piece of out-of-the-box game design and marketing. I'm leaning toward the latter so far, but in the end it comes down to price points and how slick the game play is. The graphics don't look particularly stunning, it's a Spyro game which doesn't carry quite the huge, rabid following of a Mario or Zelda game. On the plus side, it's on all the consoles, and in a move I've never seen before, you can play the same character on multiple consoles, supposedly without any hassle. I'd like to see this in action before passing judgment, but if it works as advertised, that's going to be a huge plus for social gaming.
Marian's Tale 1-4 and 5-? - Rated R. Sex, kink, spies, nobility, scandal, plots, ploys, and one poor, confused college girl stuck in the middle.
My FurAffinity : Stories and fantasy garb.

Kraesh
Merchant

Re: Skylanders

#2 Post by Kraesh »

Holy crap. I haven't played Spyro since the Playstation 1. Who are all these characters, and WHAT HAPPENED TO HIS FACE?

From what I can see, the gameplay looks alright. Seems doubtful that it will break any new ground or even be anything more than just: Good. I don't know, I might be a little biased because I'm still getting over the initial shock of seeing one of my beloved childhood videogame characters get a really creepy makeover; but it seems like it's a basic hack-n-slash targeted to kids, with a bunch of characters who will probably only be for asthetics, and not really change story or gameplay very much.

I have to admit though, I am intrigued. I'm not ready to drop sixty+ dollars on it, but I do want to give it a try. Thanks for introducing it to me, I guess?

**Edit 1: After digging a bit more into it, it still looks pretty fun, but if Nexon decided to try fun. (Essentially a cash cow that says, sure you can try what you paid for, but the real fun happens when you pay for more.) It feels too much like the tiny DLC's that some games have, just with a toy gimmick strapped on.

...That said, my inner kid still wants to try it.
Image <-Because that's AWESOME :3
Apparently I survived.

Bane Dragon
Templar GrandMaster

#3 Post by Bane Dragon »

*lurks out of lurking lurkful mode*

Oh joy. another abomination unto the Spyro series. =D

To be perfectly honest, I bought the last 3 "Spyro" games that came out, and they disappointed me. Purely linear gameplay and more cutscenes than play time does not make the Spyro fan in me happy when I was expecting the sprawling levels he had in the original 3, the cutscenes being relatively short interludes between beating up grunts, and the vast feeling of the game (the original and the new 3 took about the same time to 100%, but the original 3 felt much larger with the spread out worlds, finding gems, the mini-games, etc.), and bringing out toys to play the game with just seems to be trying to draw attention to them for a few minutes before the Spyro franchise completely dies, or gets a decent reboot...although again, I'm not really looking forward to another reboot of him if it's gonna be aimed at toy-pushing gimmicks or the angsty/linear whatever I've been seeing.
Image Image
What's this say about me? O.o

Darkfur
Master

#4 Post by Darkfur »

What the other two said, the first 3 were the bomb, but after that the series just went to [censored] with 28 charecters and a reboot every other game. i would like it if they just rebooted it again but brought back all the old charecters and wrote a storyline that was bigger than a sentence ... but that's just me :?
who knows, this one might be good...

EDIT: Oh dear god! Never mind!!! What the hell did they do to Spyro?!?!
Good luck falling asleep now! :(
Lurk moar.