USA Presidental Campaingn 2016

Television, movies, and politics

Moderator: Moderators

Who do you want to be president of the United States in the 2016 elections?

Poll ended at Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:12 pm

Donald Trump of the Republican Party
25%
Hillary Clinton of the Democratic Party
25%
Jill Stein of the Green Party
25%
Gary Johnson of the Liberation Party
25%

Total votes: 20

Talonmaster Zso
Templar GrandMaster

Re: USA Presidental Campaingn 2016

#46 Post by Talonmaster Zso »

SperoWolf wrote:Exactly, and yet he still has five billion dollars.
I'm not exactly sure this is making the point you want to make.
SperoWolf wrote:No one has a perfect run, but he knows how to play the system and doesn't take losses.
He doesn't take losses because he explicitly makes sure he's not the one who will suffer for them. He has declared Business Bankruptcy no less than four times. He's explicitly mentioned himself to abuse the country's laws to pare debt. Your response is to put him in one of the highest offices of the country.
SperoWolf wrote:His exploits only make him more appealing and demonstrate his cunning.
Well, yes, if one's sociopathic and / or idolizes his track record.
SperoWolf wrote:I'm not looking for someone else to play an audience and accomplish jack in his office time,
That is exactly what he does. Sometimes he'll even pay the audience that's to be played, or milk the same schtiel for multiple years in a row (see: His Birther Movement activities) as a way to lead into a new tune.
SperoWolf wrote:I'm looking for someone who'll move the country forward.
Protip: Global Economics doesn't work the same as US Business Economics. For one of the more basic differences, if he defaults once, there won't be a Global Economy to default a second time in. Admittedly, thinking about it, this is a relatively moot point because he doesn't even have political experience to draw from: The extent of his political resume is a list of receipts for funded candidates and whipping Tea Party members into a greater furor over President Obama. This is not only something that is not helpful re: a President, but actively harmful. His words right now, as a business man, carry relatively little weight. But if he were to be nominated (let alone elected) as the President of the United States, the implications would be horrifying. They would, effectively, be a declaration that the United States is run by business, for business, and forget (or, worse, exploit) all the poor / minority demographics within.
SperoWolf wrote:As for the controversy, besides the "racism" it's mostly the usual mudslinging nonsense.
You very much don't need to put "racism" in quotes, he's unabashedly so unless you want to say that his Birther participation and Mexican comments are entirely based in playing to a crowd (at which point: Congrats! He's now playing to an audience, and you're admitting he's a political sock puppet of the Tea Party which is - shall we say - one of the last parties you want anywhere near a position of authority in the United States as it's almost predominantly composed of Dixiecrats or the immediate offspring of Dixiecrats who left the Democrat party in the 1960's over the Civil Rights' movement).
SperoWolf wrote:I agree wholeheartedly with his stance on immigration.
Oh SperoWolf no. Just… no. I'm going to avoid cluttering this thread with an information bomb on Immigration and the drastic reform needs it has in the US, but if one honestly believes things like "Mexicans are coming into our country to rape our women-folk and take our jobs" I'll - to be blunt - say that your understanding of everything from the United States' bureaucratic situation, to the general plights faced by Latin American Immigrants (not just them, but especially them in a number of cases), to actual Illegal Immigrant demographics (also, on this note, Illegal Immigrant is a bit of a misnomer as it means that what they're doing is a crime which would mean they would be entitled to the full protection of the US Legal System as well), to Sociology 101 is… less than passing.
SperoWolf wrote:I love this Tumblr world
Oh dear god this is about to become about Corruption in Ethics of Gaming Journalism isn't it?
SperoWolf wrote:we live in where saying you believe most illegal immigrants are criminal turns into "he hates Mexicans!"
Well, besides the fact that this isn't what he said (which was actually, paraphrased, "The Mexican Government is sending filthy rapists and other bottom-feeder criminals into our country because reasons"), I must again point to the fact that we actually - generally - treat illegal immigrants a fair deal worse than Criminals. Which is no mean feat, considering we only just recently declared a law that allowed you to imprison someone for life over theft of a $2.50 pair of socks to be unconstitutional and there are literally states wherein Prisoners live in tent-towns situated in the middle of the desert (Hi Arizona!).
SperoWolf wrote:and we stop ignoring the trillions of dollars we owe so we can play crowds.
You do realize that ignoring Austerity and practicing Keynesian Economics is one of the reasons we (the US, though Canada has shown a remarkably good track record with similar practices) is one of the reasons that we're not only recovering as well as we are comparing to many of our economic competitors (look at how well Austerity has been treating the vast majority of Europe in the last several years, for example), but that we aren't looking at another Global Depression yes? Throttling Government spending to a bare minimum and "tightening those bootstraps" not only does horrific amounts of harm to a significant portion of the US population and economy, but has been repeatedly proven locally and abroad to simply not work.
SperoWolf wrote:over a mindless figure who'd sooner spend his time shaking hands with celebrities/hosting pointless lunch-ins.
You do realize that Donald Trump would be busy being that politician if he wasn't already busy being the celebrity shaking hands, yes?
SperoWolf wrote:Maybe he'll go from arguing that we should fine people who are intolerant of homosexuality to becoming the prototypical right-ist "HATE THE GAYS".
As he's reliant on the Tea Party vote (since they're the only voter demographic he could reliably appeal to, having dashed his chance of any minority, moderate Republicans or Leftist-in-general voting for him over the last several terms by being a deranged clown), he almost undoubtably will.
Human (n): Susceptible to or representative of the sympathies and frailties of human nature.

Loud & Proud Humanist. Malignant to Misanthropes.

y7h65
The Unpronounceable

#47 Post by y7h65 »

So, uh, remember how I said to choose someone who will wisely use the power, assets, and influence that becoming president provides? Now, I'm not trying to tell you how to vote but Trump is quite literally the worst person to pick for that. He's proven again and again that he is a terrible person ethically and morally speaking. Yes, he can run a US company. He does so by exploiting loopholes and abusing the system. And you think that putting this guy in charge is the correct decision? I'm not even going to go into his stances on immigration and immigrants, that's something I'm not going to touch since I have no experience with the American immigrant.

Ultimately the choice is up to you but I'm just saying that putting him in power may not be that wise.

EDIT: Also, don't quote me on this, but I believe the reason why Canada has done so well with similar practices is due to our overabundance of natural resources both renewable and non-renewable, backed by a much lower population in comparison to the United States. The cost to support our population is probably quite a fair bits cheaper than the cost to support the population in America.
Local Type Moon Fanatic.

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#48 Post by Schrodinger »

Is this some sort of clever trolling? I'm a bit confused.
What was it the spider said to the fly...

y7h65
The Unpronounceable

#49 Post by y7h65 »

I think he's calling you a troll pretty much because of your first post here here where you openly admit to
SperoWolf wrote:If anything, I'd only vote conservative to hopefully help piss of the liberals. In my experience, there's nothing more annoying on the entirety of the internet than crazy liberals. I think enraging them further would be a very positive and tangible gain from an election, for once xp
which makes perfect sense as to why Schrodinger thinks you are being a troll. You openly admitted that you would be willing to vote Republican or pretend to vote for Republican if only to piss off liberals; in a forum where I am willing to bet that a sizable portion of the voting age visitors are Liberal.

Putting that aside, like I said, if you want to vote for Trump then more power to you. The choice is ultimately up to you. I may disagree and I may believe that if Trump were to actually be elected into office then the globe as a whole will probably be very understandably nervous about the decision. But If you seriously think that putting Trump into office is a good idea then do so and, if he does get in, the whole world will get to see if this was a good decision.
Local Type Moon Fanatic.

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#50 Post by Schrodinger »

Really it's all speculation at this point. It's hard to say given the swamped Republican side who could squeak out with the nomination until the primaries begin and separate the serious contenders from the rest. I've seen polls that put Trump as being second behind Jeb Bush though that could be a result of name recognition and nothing to do with political policy.

Insomniac
The Experienced Virgin
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#51 Post by Insomniac »

Schrodinger wrote:Really it's all speculation at this point. It's hard to say given the swamped Republican side who could squeak out with the nomination until the primaries begin and separate the serious contenders from the rest. I've seen polls that put Trump as being second behind Jeb Bush though that could be a result of name recognition and nothing to do with political policy.
Oh yeah, lol. Jon Stewart's reaction on his show to seeing that Trump was second among republican candidates in multiple states was a simple "[censored] me! We'll be back."
From the Sergals and Sergal Lovers channel of F-List's chat system (Beyond NSFW, by the way): Honey, you ain't the only abnormal sergal in here. We got three pink northerns, a fairy, and a dork with a talking sword.

primalcaller ergos
Templar GrandMaster
Location: many places at once all around reality and outside it at the same time, thought i am astral projetin

#52 Post by primalcaller ergos »

Well Im in canada here so It doesnt matter what I think on the matter, but just for the sake of mentioning this because I think it's awesome:

Feel the bern to da max!
You must train you eyes so strenuously to see the truth but when you do, a whole new world opens up for as you keen observation allows you to know more about some one than they know about themselves, this is called psychology - me

ReBob
Council Member

#53 Post by ReBob »

I wasn't aware the popular vote mattered in the end, huh. When did that change?

Time to start researching the candidates again to massive boatloads of disappointment. Will say that so far Rand Paul seems like my choice based on that 'ontheissues.org' site (haven't finished reading), but I can't find Bernie Sanders on there to see what the fuss is about him. Found him.
Image Image
Image Image
I make banners. Want one?
Rest in Peace, Satoru Iwata.

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#54 Post by Schrodinger »

I'm registered Democrat so the cluster [censored] on the Republican side will be out of my hands entirely. As of the latest polling Trump is over Bush. Oh my goodness this is going to be interesting.

Insomniac
The Experienced Virgin
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#55 Post by Insomniac »

Schrodinger wrote:I'm registered Democrat so the cluster [censored] on the Republican side will be out of my hands entirely. As of the latest polling Trump is over Bush. Oh my goodness this is going to be interesting.
I live in a state where you can vote for whoever you damn well please, and don't have to pick one party or another and only vote for people from that party. Y'know, SOMETHING THAT IS SUPPOSED TO BE A PART OF DEMOCRACY. So I feel bad for ya, cat.
From the Sergals and Sergal Lovers channel of F-List's chat system (Beyond NSFW, by the way): Honey, you ain't the only abnormal sergal in here. We got three pink northerns, a fairy, and a dork with a talking sword.

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#56 Post by Schrodinger »

Insomniac wrote:
Schrodinger wrote:I'm registered Democrat so the cluster [censored] on the Republican side will be out of my hands entirely. As of the latest polling Trump is over Bush. Oh my goodness this is going to be interesting.
I live in a state where you can vote for whoever you damn well please, and don't have to pick one party or another and only vote for people from that party. Y'know, SOMETHING THAT IS SUPPOSED TO BE A PART OF DEMOCRACY. So I feel bad for ya, cat.
I'll double check the local primary laws and see what develops.

midnightblink
Council Member

#57 Post by midnightblink »

Insomniac wrote:
That's how the presidential election goes, but when your talking about multiple people from the same party, your talking about the primaries. In the primaries, everyone from a party decides who they want to represent their party in the presidential election, which is why only people registered with that party vote in that particular primary. Basically, in the primaries you vote for whoever you want your party to represent, but you can vote for the other parties in the presidential election if you want to. For instance, I am more of a Libertarian, but I will vote in the Democratic primaries because there is almost no chance a third party will win, and I side more with liberals then conservatives
Primum Non Nocere

FrogSteaks
Grand Templar

#58 Post by FrogSteaks »

Insomniac wrote: I live in a state where you can vote for whoever you damn well please, and don't have to pick one party or another and only vote for people from that party.
Are there really states where you have to pick a side? I didn't know that. That's certainly not the case here. (See the end of my first post in this thread.)
Schrodinger wrote:As of the latest polling Trump is over Bush.
Actually, last time I checked (which was yesterday) Bush held a slight lead over Trump. But yeah, it's gonna be very interesting either way.
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. -Wayne Gretzky

ReBob
Council Member

#59 Post by ReBob »

From what I understand, you can go Democrat, Republican, or independent. Unaware of the situation across the entire country, though.
Image Image
Image Image
I make banners. Want one?
Rest in Peace, Satoru Iwata.

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#60 Post by Schrodinger »