What is a fursona?

Got a question? Ya just gotta ask! Go on, ask about anything.

Moderator: Moderators

esmeraldakittycat
New Citizen

What is a fursona?

#1 Post by esmeraldakittycat »

Hi, I've seen this word used a lot by people on this site, and I'm wondering, what is a fursona?
CATS! CATS! CATS! :flora: :flora: :flora:

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

Re: What is a fursona?

#2 Post by tony1695 »

A tricky question, because depending on who you ask you'll get a different response.

My understanding is that it's basically a character that represents you in a 'furry' setting. It can be you in every way except physically, or it can be an idealised version of yourself. It's different to an Original Character, because that's a character that is specifically made for a story or art.
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD

Vintage
Certified Fool
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#3 Post by Vintage »

tony1695 wrote:A tricky question, because depending on who you ask you'll get a different response.

My understanding is that it's basically a character that represents you in a 'furry' setting. It can be you in every way except physically, or it can be an idealised version of yourself. It's different to an Original Character, because that's a character that is specifically made for a story or art.
I think that's a perfect explanation. It can really be anything you want it to be as it...well, is you (essentially). Because of this, there are very little limitations of what your fursona can be or look like; the only limitations being ones you intentionally create. I don't quite have one myself, however I do consider my current avatar more of a placeholder since I haven't really thought of anything.
Image Image
*pssst* Want'a see what happens when I attempt art? (Avatar made by WoofSenpai & NowandLater)

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#4 Post by Bellhead »

I agree. In my mind, a fursona is basically who and what you want to be, no holds barred. It's not set in stone, so you can change it as much as you want. Even create multiple fursonas if you want.

And The WMM was is completely correct; there is literally nothing that you can't do as far as who or what you want it to be. Relevant, from the last thread on this subject.

Mine, for instance, is a Basitin soldier. Light fur, grey armor, fairly stoic but very caring and willing to stand up for what he believes in. He expects nothing back for the help he gives to others, and so has almost no greed for what he does not have.

In short, go for it. Don't hold back. Express yourself, and don't let anyone tell you wrong. Some people change theirs for years, and go through dozens of choices before choosing one they like best, and others change theirs because they discover a side of themselves that they didn't see before.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

primalcaller ergos
Templar GrandMaster
Location: many places at once all around reality and outside it at the same time, thought i am astral projetin

#5 Post by primalcaller ergos »

I have always considered it to be an Author Avatar of sorts, just with the character being an anthro.

However you are going to get some very varied responces to this because of the sheer variety in the fandom in general.

Some people (like me) consider our fursona to be a metaphorical representation of ourselves, via comparing our personality to animal stereotypes.

For example my fursona is not complete because I haven't given it a name yet, nor it is detailed yet, but
because I am pretty chubby, I enjoy the cold winter and playing in the snow, I really like to swim, and sea food is some of my favorite food:
My fursona so far is a polar bear.

Although probably something a bit less badass looking than this fellow.

For some people however it is actually nothing more than one or more character profiles someone uses to roleplay with their friends.

For the furries who are "otherkin" on the other hand, it is actually what animal they think they should have been born as instead of a human.

Lots of members of the fandom don't even have fursonas at all, so it is completely optional. You only need one if you think it would be fun to have one.
You must train you eyes so strenuously to see the truth but when you do, a whole new world opens up for as you keen observation allows you to know more about some one than they know about themselves, this is called psychology - me

DarkTheImmortal
Overlord of Space & Time
Location: Somewhere between life, death, and a grilled cheese sandwich.

#6 Post by DarkTheImmortal »

primalcaller ergos wrote:Some people (like me) consider our fursona to be a metaphorical representation of ourselves, via comparing our personality to animal stereotypes.
That's how I came up with my "scalesona" (for those who don't know, pretty much a fursona, except scaled, so I use both terms interchangeably when talking about fusonas that don't have fur).

I love space (pretty much why I'm planning on becoming an astrophysicist), and I am more fascinated with the planet Mars than anything else in the solar system. People who know me well say I am wise. Also I just love the creature my scalesona is; I just feel like I belong with them.
It is a white dragon who lives atop the martian mountain, Olympus Mons (hence my forum location), with the ability to fly through space.
I chose white for scientific reasons: sun bleaching. Mars' atmosphere doesn't protect enough from the Sun's radiation. I thought long and hard on this.

So fursonas are not limited to fur. It could have scales, feathers, bare skin, or anything you can think of.
SperoWolf wrote:A fursona is a fictitious anthropomorphic character with personal ties to its creator.
I'll have to disagree with the anthropomorphic part. From what I've seen, fursonas can be either anthro or normal, such as mine. Mine is just a dragon, not anthro.

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

#7 Post by tony1695 »

DarkTheImmortal wrote:
SperoWolf wrote:A fursona is a fictitious anthropomorphic character with personal ties to its creator.
I'll have to disagree with the anthropomorphic part. From what I've seen, fursonas can be either anthro or normal, such as mine. Mine is just a dragon, not anthro.
The problem is that 'anthropomorphic' just means that they have human qualities. So whether that extends to body shape, or stops at mental faculties is up to the user. That's why some parts of the furry fandom use the term 'feral' for characters with human-level intelligence but possess the same body configuration as their standard animal counterparts.
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD

DarkTheImmortal
Overlord of Space & Time
Location: Somewhere between life, death, and a grilled cheese sandwich.

#8 Post by DarkTheImmortal »

tony1695 wrote:
DarkTheImmortal wrote:
The problem is that 'anthropomorphic' just means that they have human qualities. So whether that extends to body shape, or stops at mental faculties is up to the user. That's why some parts of the furry fandom use the term 'feral' for characters with human-level intelligence but possess the same body configuration as their standard animal counterparts.
So it would seem. Although, with mine it could still be up for debate, as many dragons are described as being very wise and intelligent.
None the less, even I learned something here, and I thought I already knew.