The Bleak Streets of Twokinds: A Twokinds Forum Noir Story

Post all your stories, poems, and haiku's here!

Moderator: Moderators

Verilidaine
Templar Inner Circle

Re: The Bleak Streets of Twokinds: A Twokinds Forum Noir Story

#286 Post by Verilidaine »

Ouch. You write "tired" really well. I just woke up from my first great sleep on a real mattress in three nights, and I'm sitting here wrapped up and cozy and still reading this made me feel cold and achingly tired and wanting to just crawl under the covers again.

Also, ouch, what a turn down. ;P

Really liked, can't wait for the next, etc. etc., really intrigued to see what happens with a visit with Fast, heh.

Sithil
Templar Inner Circle

#287 Post by Sithil »

Enjoyable as always, avwolf. Truly looking forward to meeting up with FastChapter in this world, the scenario certainly has plenty of potential to be very entertaining.
All my life I've seen a world that hates evil more than it loves good ~Johann von Staupitz(Luther, 2003)

Wynni
Forum Momma

#288 Post by Wynni »

The purpose of this post is twofold: Keeping it towards the top of the list where it belongs........and begging for an update. Who's with me?
Image Wielder of the Wooden Spoon. Boogeymen and Slendermen everywhere beware.
ImageImage

Valbrandur
Grand Templar

#289 Post by Valbrandur »

I am with you there. I'd love to see more.

Sithil
Templar Inner Circle

#290 Post by Sithil »

Hell, anyone not anxious for another update should do best not to raise their voice, lest they enjoy the idea of being shunned. :wink: However, the last update wasn't too long ago, not even a month, which feels like quite a short time to be asking for another chapter considering avwolf's previous record on the matter. Nothing meant by it, obviously. Or perhaps that's just me.
All my life I've seen a world that hates evil more than it loves good ~Johann von Staupitz(Luther, 2003)

Verilidaine
Templar Inner Circle

#291 Post by Verilidaine »

Wynni, I swear to god... XD

Pretty soon I'm going to stop checking this thread at all when I see it has new posts. :roll:

Yes new updates plz. Maybe I'll write some fanfiction to inspire you, Avvy *wink*

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#292 Post by Schrodinger »

Wynni wrote:The purpose of this post is twofold: Keeping it towards the top of the list where it belongs........and begging for an update. Who's with me?
I raise my hand in support of the above statement.
What was it the spider said to the fly...

AzeNaku
Templar Inner Circle

#293 Post by AzeNaku »

This story just gets better and better! :karen:

... Which means the wait gets worse and worse... :redhair:
Set Azers to "Pun". ImageImageImage

Nuff
The One With the Ears

#294 Post by Nuff »

Yes.. let's all lynch Av if he doesn't post more story by the end of the week!

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#295 Post by avwolf »

Sheesh. You all realize I was on a business trip most of this week, right? :P

Fine, here's how much I was able to write on the plane, without a reference to my notes, which I need for the next bit. Therefore, it's a short one this time, but at least you get something, right? ;)

--Edit--
Wow... I got curious about how popular Fast's work really used to be. Unfortunately, either I didn't see it, or he removed it. In any case, the views of this thread are really paltry compared to what has gone before. Maybe I should make IT'S A LION the new media mogul, considering his old work hit over twenty-two thousand views. This board really is quiet.

--------------------------------

I make a quick stop at the grocery stand on the corner. The owner's from some European country where they smoke these long, thin cigarettes with hardly any filter on them, but they deliver an adequate amount of nicotine to keep the shakes away. Besides, the shopkeep always lets me have a cup of terrible coffee from the back office percolator for fifty cents, and I'm the sort of guy who's liable to kill someone without his smokes and caffeine in the morning. The cigarette package smells like the candies in the shop, which I swear to God are made out of a blend of salt, fish, and asphalt, but the spindly, hand-wrapped cancer sticks taste like they're supposed to. Maybe a little exotic, but that's part of the charm.

I swallow about half my coffee before it cools down enough for that to be prudent. Patience has never been one of my stronger virtues. My tongue's going to be sore for a while, but I can feel the caffeine hit my system like a brick made out of gold and awesome. By the time I reach the Writer's Borough I've finished the coffee and most of a cigarette, so I'm starting to feel almost human. Or whatever you want to call a fur like me. Considering where I'm headed, it's wisest for me to resemble a zombie as little as possible. The stench of ink and musty paper reaches my nose as I round the corner into the neighborhood. Tiny print shops, book stores, libraries, and street cafes are crammed along the cobblestone boulevards, each one clamoring for attention from passers-by, begging for just a quick peek inside. I can see a couple of printing presses set up on the street like sandwich carts in Philly, and at least one would-be poet is pontificating to a politely-listening crowd polishing off their own coffees at one of the cafes. It's still fairly early here, but even late, it doesn't get all that busy or loud. Not like it is in Drawing Board, the art gallery cum nightclub a handful of streets down, or Role Park, the sprawling green space devoted to fantasy and pretending to be someone you're not, which is just a few streets the other way. But it's here, more than anywhere else, that FastChapter holds court.

Fast is a somewhat independent badge, like me, though he wears it differently and quite a bit more independently. His responsibilities are also much farther reaching than mine, so he's not always easy to track down. I guess that's what happens when you come to power willingly, instead of having it thrust on you like it happened to me. I can't help but finger my badge thinking about it. Not that I mind it, but I kinda miss the days before the weight of the thing started pulling my belt down. FastChapter's known for stylishly extravagant but relentlessly scanty costuming, a sharp wit, and a remarkable vocabulary. Needless to say, he's practically worshiped in this part of town. It's from his printing press that the local newsrag springs and it only supplements the steady stream of paperbacks, dimestore and otherwise, that he's always churning out. I'm not sure it's entirely his fault that he's best known for books that you'd read in a tiny room with a coin-operated door and a sticky concrete floor, however, he's generally welcomed the notoriety with a wink and a grin. I'd have to play a confrontation pretty carefully, or I'd end up over my own head, and I'm not sure I want to be swimming in these waters.

Of course, for a confrontation to happen, I've gotta find FastChapter. Since there's no guarantee he'll even been in this part of town right now, I figure my best bet is to find someone who knows more than me and ask them. Fortunately, the guy I've got in mind's a friend, so I won't even have to ask hard. A few loose handbills blow around the street, one of them clinging to my leg. As I read over its message, a sudden flush of hot anger lights my veins on fire. "End the Perversion" it exclaims in big red letters over a crude, out-of-focus photo of Sable, a lopsided crosshair painted over hir head. There's no signature, of course, and the paper feels really generic in my fingers, its thick, rough texture common to the Writer's Borough. Most folks around here printed their work on similar pages. I crumple the paper in my hand and swear quietly. It bears a resemblance to the pamphlets from the burned-out scene where Lupe was nearly given a rough goodbye. I grumble and smooth the handbill out again, folding it into my pocket. I'll have a friend take a look, somebody who might be able to tell me if it matches the threats on Lupe. That, however, will have to wait. My business here has just begun and I can't afford to be distracted.

Sithil
Templar Inner Circle

#296 Post by Sithil »

Well, a short update is still an update, and very welcome all the same. I really like your description of the Story Board, it stands sadly devoid of activity besides it's two neighbours when compared with them, doesn't it?

Nuff
The One With the Ears

#297 Post by Nuff »

Yay. Short but sweet. Good to know that threats of violence work on you too *notes down*

Sebbie
The Guy You're Gay For

#298 Post by Sebbie »

...my interest has been piqued by the imagery of a brick made of gold and awesome :P
PhycoKrusk wrote:especially Alaric who, without all that fur, I imagine is ripped
Image ImageImageImageImageImage

Windwaker
Superior to Checkers Drive-Thru
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith

#299 Post by Windwaker »

This post is present for the sole purpose of reminding Av that in four days it will have been a month since the last update, and is not intended to bump or draw attention to this thread in any way shape or form. :P
Tom wrote:Hi! 8)
MeaCulpa, S.C.M. wrote:Jimmies: Rustled
Yash wrote:At the tender age of 22, my quest for the ultimate philly cheese steak sandwich begins now.

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#300 Post by Schrodinger »

Windwaker wrote:This post is present for the sole purpose of reminding Av that in four days it will have been a month since the last update, and is not intended to bump or draw attention to this thread in any way shape or form. :P
Suuuuuure.
What was it the spider said to the fly...