The Bleak Streets of Twokinds: A Twokinds Forum Noir Story

Post all your stories, poems, and haiku's here!

Moderator: Moderators

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

Re: The Bleak Streets of Twokinds: A Twokinds Forum Noir Story

#301 Post by avwolf »

Alright, got another dose prepped for you folks. Now I finally handwave FastChapter away. I'm still pretty upset that he left us, not only because I miss having him around, but also because he totally ruined what I'd originally planned for the story. :P (He and Sable were going to be in on it together.) Alas, we make do with what we have. I hope you all enjoy the latest chapter. Every once in a while I get worried that I'm losing my tone, I must admit.

--------------------------------------

The bookstore's paneled wood door swings open with a creak and the delicate jingle of a bell. The interior is roughly paneled, cedar wainscoting, cigar smoke, and the scents of bookbinder's paste and paper all blending into a quiet, homey atmosphere that made the place seem more like a favorite grandfather's study than a storefront. You almost don't notice the heavy, steel shutters over the windows, with their industrial locks. The proprietor has a singular obsession with zombie preparedness. Not only is this one of the most fortified sites in town, but he's got enough spare ammunition, food, and medical supplies to keep a fair number of people alive for a couple of weeks, were the zombocalypse were to occur. Jediguy also joins Wynni for meetings of the "people who keep double-barreled shotguns behind the counter" club. Jedi's recently added a scoped hunting rifle to his collection too, for those times when the living dead are just a hair out of buckshot range. The long arms hang on decorative plaques near the counter, and gleam like they've just been cleaned. Jedi must have been out to the range with them lately; I know he practices regularly. As close as undead-disaster-preparedness is to Jedi's heart, his real passion is still this bookstore. He keeps the faith for the little-read and highlights the well-deserving unknowns here, trying to get them some of the attention they wouldn't get any other way. He keeps the Writer's Borough flowing with fresh creative juices. Or at least he tries. A lot of the time, the store's pretty lonely inside. It's unfortunate, and I feel all the worse for it, because I'm one of those faces that should spend time here and doesn't. I make a new resolution to change that, one that I already know I'll end up breaking in the end.

Jedi's not watching the front of the store, but I spot a fluffy white cat stocking shelves. Mari's a close friend to Jedi, and they've got some history between them. There's still a some chemistry and sparks between the fox and the cat, but I don't know if they're actually sharing sheets. We're like the military, Jedi and I: I don't ask and he doesn't tell. "He in the back?" I ask Mari, as she reaches down to gather a few more backwards-written-like-Japan comic books. Always reminds me of Spiffman when I see that stuff, on account of his intentional mispronunciation of it as "mango," and I damn near shed a tear for those that have already passed. I hope I won't be mourning Jedi or Sable any time soon. Or Lupe, for that matter. Mari looks up at me with clear gray eyes, almost frightening in their intensity. That look reminds me again of why Jedi got with her in the first place. She inclines her head and then jerks it toward the storeroom behind the rear stacks. "Thanks," I murmur and leave her to her work.

Jedi's a bit tall and built for a pure-bred fox, but he's still got some of the rangy look to him. His white-tipped russet ears flick and bob through a moussed-up emo-rock mop of black hair to the music playing in his headphones. He flips a three inch butterfly knife idly around one hand, spinning it through his digits with a careless ease born of practice and a willful disregard for having fingers. He's using the knife as a box cutter, opening a bunch of packages of fresh books, so recently printed that the ink still smells wet. I suppose my own scent, musk and asphalt, so different from the bookbinder's odor of this part of town, gave me away as he turns to me and grins. "Hey, Av. Good to see you." He snaps the knife shut with a quick roll of his wrist.

"Jedi," I return the smile and take his offered hand. "Always feels like it's been too long. How's the business?"

"Eh, like an AA meeting in Dublin on Saint Paddy's, but I'm getting by. How's the private dicking?"

"If I told you, it wouldn't be private any more," I joke, my tongue planted between my teeth in a lighthearted loll, "A gentleman never kisses and tells. Honest truth? It's a grind. Too much [censored] is going down in this town lately."

"Yeah, I heard about Sable." There isn't a lot of love lost between Sable and Jedi, but that's more because of perceived slights between the two of them than anything really concrete. Jedi usually regards Sable as a bit of a troublemaker, and Sable thinks that Jedi's still kind of a loud-mouthed newbie. Sable'd been pretty mistrustful when Jedi'd earned his badge, but since then, the husky had privately decided that Jedi is a decent guy. I'm sworn to secrecy on that one, though: Sable loves hir reputation too much to let it out that shi doesn't have a real problem with the fox. Besides, shi regards the mild semi-hostilities as being too much fun to end. In any event, while they might not like each other particularly well, they don't actually hate each other either.

"Fact of the matter is that I'm here about that. Where were you this morning?" I wink to let him know the question is at least half in jest. Jedi laughs.

"I hate to disappoint you, man, but I've been here since before dawn." I frown. That's not exactly what I'd expected to hear. I wasn't counting on an alibi, but since when did Jedi get to the shop before dawn?

"That's a hell of an early morning. What happened?"

"Ehh, had to do some big changes to the stocking and move a bunch of novels around. Not fun stuff. Sometimes owning your own business is a major pain in the [censored]." I shake my head in sympathy.

"I know exactly what you mean." I shoot him an empathetic half-smile. "And speaking of ways that the job's a pain in the [censored], do you know where I can find Fast?" Jedi bites his lip. Not a good sign.

"[censored]'s actually the reason I was stuck here this morning. Fast skipped town late last night. He told me that he wanted more time for his personal endeavors, and that he didn't like what this place is becoming. So, without much fanfare, he just packed his stuff up and left. Now I've got to struggle to keep this here bookstore open without a powerhouse like Canid keeping people streaming in." Jedi sighs and runs one hand through his hair while he spins the knife around with the other. I'm pretty sure everybody who knows Jedi is just waiting for that nervous tic to get him in trouble. "I've still got some connections with him, if you really need to have words with the 'yote, but I wouldn't expect to see him around here anymore."

I frown. There's an old adage, common to any forum, that those who make a big production about leaving are bound to come back, and those who disappear into the night are gone for good. In my experience, it's absolutely true. I can't really rule out FastChapter's involvement in the attempt on Sable's life, but I can't investigate him further either, not if he's really skipped town and isn't coming back. But I think he's probably clean...After all, why would he leave because he doesn't like what this town is turning into when the person he disagrees with the most just got shot in the neck? I sigh. Looks like I'll have to keep crossing names off the list of people who had a beef with Sable. At least that's one big, bold name down. "Alright, thanks, Jedi. I appreciate the word. I'll just have to keep poking around."

Jedi gives me a snort of laughter. "I hear you're good at that."

"Yeah? V might argue," I chuckle. "Good luck. If you need a hand, you know how to find me."

Jedi nods. "Take care, man. I'll let you know if I hear anything that might help you out too."

I give Jedi a little wave over my shoulder and head out of the store. I nod goodbye to Mari as I pass, and push the door open, stepping out into crisp outside air. I light a new cigarette, shove my hands into my pockets, and pause, my eyes narrowing. Somebody in the morning crowd is watching me instead of admiring the books in the window.

ButterBall
Grand Templar

#302 Post by ButterBall »

Who is this Mari and why haven't I heard about her around the forum? Certainly not Cat's girlfriend.
*Used to be a guy people knew at one time.*
Avatar by druanderson. Some things are very NSFW.

Cessna Skyhawk
Templar Inner Circle

#303 Post by Cessna Skyhawk »

I haven't posted here yet, and all I really have to say is:

Hooray, updates!
da Vinci wrote:Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.

Wynni
Forum Momma

#304 Post by Wynni »

It's still reading well, love. Leastways to me. Has Jedi been keeping sekrits on us?
Image Wielder of the Wooden Spoon. Boogeymen and Slendermen everywhere beware.
ImageImage

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#305 Post by avwolf »

ButterBall wrote:Who is this Mari and why haven't I heard about her around the forum? Certainly not Cat's girlfriend.
She's an ex-girlfriend of Jedi's, and not, so far as I know, a forumite, which is why she never speaks. :P If I got her name wrong, I'm going to be quite cross with myself, so I'm hoping it's just concidentally the same as Cat's girlfriend, and not me mis-remembering one name for another.

The Silver Fox
Master

#306 Post by The Silver Fox »

avwolf wrote:
ButterBall wrote:Who is this Mari and why haven't I heard about her around the forum? Certainly not Cat's girlfriend.
She's an ex-girlfriend of Jedi's, and not, so far as I know, a forumite, which is why she never speaks. :P If I got her name wrong, I'm going to be quite cross with myself, so I'm hoping it's just concidentally the same as Cat's girlfriend, and not me mis-remembering one name for another.
You did get her name right.

Also, Av, are you still doing that...challenge thing you mentioned a while back?
And despite not being an active poster, I am a very active lurker, so I figure I might as well ask: how do you decide who's going to make a cameo appearance or not (aside from the people in power, so to speak)?

...and this reminds me that I really need to make some headway on my own writing. Though, preferably not at 4 in the morning.
Image Image
Terrifying!Rei wrote:Heee~eeeeey. What'cha doin'?

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#307 Post by avwolf »

The Silver Fox wrote:You did get her name right.
Excellent. Thank you. :)
The Silver Fox wrote:Also, Av, are you still doing that...challenge thing you mentioned a while back?
It still stands, yes. Actually, it's been invaluable. I use those little bits and pieces to shape and mold a character's cameo. It's actually pretty clear in this scene, as I somewhat adapted the bookstore from Jedi's piece, and even used a modified form of some of his language describing it (other bits are made up wholecloth or integrated from my occasionally faulty memory, like the scent of cigars as I vaguely remember that he fancies them). Sithil's submitted me something that I'm excited to use because it takes the character in directions that make total sense (and make him a stronger character) but that I hadn't actually considered myself. I should probably be more ashamed of myself for that, but running roleplaying games has given me a sort of laziness where, if it's offered to me, I'll happily borrow someone else's creativity.
The Silver Fox wrote:And despite not being an active poster, I am a very active lurker, so I figure I might as well ask: how do you decide who's going to make a cameo appearance or not (aside from the people in power, so to speak)?
Mostly, I take volunteers. :P And I've got places for all kinds of people, lurkers included (especially if they don't mind being eyes and ears of some of the darker elements in town). Actually, I'll probably be recruiting people soonish, not for "big" or "speaking" roles, but just to flesh out the really big club scenes that are coming up. In a couple cases, I've specifically gone out and asked people if I'd be permitted to involve them, but most of the time, I'm happy to take volunteers.

Sithil
Templar Inner Circle

#308 Post by Sithil »

avwolf wrote:Sithil's submitted me something that I'm excited to use because it takes the character in directions that make total sense (and make him a stronger character) but that I hadn't actually considered myself.
Tsk, and here you went and made me think you never bothered to read it. And speaking of said work of mine, you wouldn't happen to have a copy of it stored anywhere, would you? I lost it during one of my computer's numerous and far too common crashes, and apparently FileFront decided it was unactive enough to be deleted.
All my life I've seen a world that hates evil more than it loves good ~Johann von Staupitz(Luther, 2003)

Nuff
The One With the Ears

#309 Post by Nuff »

Liked the update Av. Nice to see you managed to get through a whole section with Jedi without mentioning the force :P

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#310 Post by avwolf »

Sithil wrote:
avwolf wrote:Sithil's submitted me something that I'm excited to use because it takes the character in directions that make total sense (and make him a stronger character) but that I hadn't actually considered myself.
Tsk, and here you went and made me think you never bothered to read it. And speaking of said work of mine, you wouldn't happen to have a copy of it stored anywhere, would you? I lost it during one of my computer's numerous and far too common crashes, and apparently FileFront decided it was unactive enough to be deleted.
I should have it somewhere. I don't think it's on my computer here at work, but it ought to be somewhere on my computer at home. I'll look for it and let you know what I'm able to find.

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#311 Post by Schrodinger »

avwolf wrote:Actually, I'll probably be recruiting people soonish, not for "big" or "speaking" roles, but just to flesh out the really big club scenes that are coming up. In a couple cases, I've specifically gone out and asked people if I'd be permitted to involve them, but most of the time, I'm happy to take volunteers.
Is that right......
What was it the spider said to the fly...

JediGuy
Zombicidal Maniac

#312 Post by JediGuy »

avwolf wrote: The proprietor has a singular obsession with zombie preparedness. Not only is this one of the most fortified sites in town, but he's got enough spare ammunition, food, and medical supplies to keep a fair number of people alive for a couple of weeks, were the zombocalypse were to occur.
It's not paranoia if someone really is out to get you!

Hell, I may just be deemed crazy after all this :P Not like that wasn't news before...
Magic is merely science that we have yet to understand.

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#313 Post by avwolf »

JediGuy wrote:
avwolf wrote: The proprietor has a singular obsession with zombie preparedness. Not only is this one of the most fortified sites in town, but he's got enough spare ammunition, food, and medical supplies to keep a fair number of people alive for a couple of weeks, were the zombocalypse were to occur.
It's not paranoia if someone really is out to get you!

Hell, I may just be deemed crazy after all this :P Not like that wasn't news before...
Man, and I even left out the part where you have a cargo container in the back that's stocked with all these supplies, and it's actually loaded on a one ton truck, for going mobile if holing up looks like a bad option. ;)

Windwaker
Superior to Checkers Drive-Thru
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith

#314 Post by Windwaker »

Oooooh, that was good. Last time I was this excited about something updating was when Megatokyo had that massive cliffhanger a little while back. :P

Maybe I'll try writing a vignette, in my nonexistent vast amounts of free time. We shall see.
Tom wrote:Hi! 8)
MeaCulpa, S.C.M. wrote:Jimmies: Rustled
Yash wrote:At the tender age of 22, my quest for the ultimate philly cheese steak sandwich begins now.

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#315 Post by Schrodinger »

I'll start working on my vingette soon enough. Just a retelling of Chapter Six from my point of view.
What was it the spider said to the fly...