ALL the Comic Threads (and some historical curiosities)

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Myperson54
The Imagineer

Re: ALL the Comic Threads

#16 Post by Myperson54 »

amenon wrote:
Myperson54 wrote:Man, you are frighteningly efficient with these lists. What do you use for all your projects? Perl, Lisp, Python?
I did the scripting for this bit in perl. To a great detriment, since I don't actually know perl, as I remembered when I was trying to figure out how to access the nested hash array that the Proboards JSON decoded to. (The HTML there doesn't have everything conveniently greppable like phpBB does, but they do have a list of the topics on the page contained in some Javascript object or function call. I should have probably used javascript to get at that, to be honest.)

Search is written in Go, and Entertaining Possibilities is a mix of US and British English :P

By the by, someone with a more archivist bent might want to consider creating a mirror of those old forums. They've kept ticking for ten years, but who knows when they'll disappear in a puff of logic?
I don't have the bandwidth or storage for something like that, but I can't imagine it would be all to difficult. I could probably just mirror the entire thing to an external drive with wget.

I am become salt, destroyer of memes

Join the Unofficial 2k Discord Channel!

RobbieThe1st
Templar GrandMaster

#17 Post by RobbieThe1st »

Put everything in an archive and upload it somewhere/make a torrent of it all?

Speaking of which...
http://robbiethe1st.afraid.org/twokinds ... oKinds.csv
There's some metadata for you guys to have fun with.
Since 2011 I have a custom-written program which auto-checks and downloads a bunch of comics for me, and it logs dates, times etc.
The comic records are records of the actual image files, the other file is the mouseover/website titles and news blurbs etc.
Before 2011 I might have something; I'd have to pull one of my old harddisks and see what's out there. I'm pretty sure I was auto-downloading since about the time I registered on this forum, and have at least basic logs from then onward...

amenon
Grand Templar

#18 Post by amenon »

After some fairly dizzying archeology, the index has now been expanded to include some ~100 things that you can't find by reading the comic archive, in their proper chronological positions. For the lot, see the top of the thread; this post is more for anomalies.

If you only check out one thing, make it this one: (Especially if you're RobbieThe1st: See thread!)
[Ongoing Research and Mysteries dept.]

Here are things that look like they were probably fillers, but I don't know when they ran: There are also several images I was unable to source, most notably some minikinds (from 2005-04-29 on): You'd think that with extra minikinds and missing minikinds things would work out, but the content of the images and the content of the threads does not seem to match.

The last three threads actually have the image in the thread itself: I just wasn't able to additionally source them from either of the archives I used, possibly due to having already gone blind and/or insane trying to keep everything straight.

It's also rather clear from these threads that there were originally more than three pages of tkonline: Historical content was sourced from: I also seem to have found a mission statement to appropriate:
avwolf in 2009 wrote: I wonder if Tom's going to put the previous fillers and guest comics (and this one) into some specific "filler gallery." I believe, since the archive's restructuring, that he's pulled out the fillers in the archive, so that the archive matches the book more closely and provides just the history of the comic, to get new users up to speed. It'd sort of be unfortunate to lose all the history, save for where it's stored elsewhere, like Robbie's mirror, though I don't disagree with Tom's choice to pare the archive down. Reminds me of my first time through the archives, and spending twenty minutes translating the wingdings out of that one guest comic.
:P That's the best I... will do. At least for now.

... and if it's this comic, that's not wingdings :P
RobbieThe1st wrote: Speaking of which...
There's some metadata for you guys to have fun with.
Since 2011 I have a custom-written program which auto-checks and downloads a bunch of comics for me, and it logs dates, times etc.
The comic records are records of the actual image files, the other file is the mouseover/website titles and news blurbs etc.
Before 2011 I might have something; I'd have to pull one of my old harddisks and see what's out there. I'm pretty sure I was auto-downloading since about the time I registered on this forum, and have at least basic logs from then onward...
This... may result in another project at some point. Does anyone have a complete set of title texts? I think they mostly started being a thing sometime near the end of 2009.

By the by, have you considered extending your thingamajig to parse for link destinations as well? You seem to have some kind of parser bug that's left a lot of stray "</a>" in the title texts, and there are many more than I would have expected. I don't suppose you store the html as well as the scraping results?
]]> Twokinds search (search the comic based on art or text!)

My most recent Twokinds smutfics, newest to oldest [NSFW]:

RobbieThe1st
Templar GrandMaster

#19 Post by RobbieThe1st »

amenon wrote: By the by, have you considered extending your thingamajig to parse for link destinations as well? You seem to have some kind of parser bug that's left a lot of stray "</a>" in the title texts, and there are many more than I would have expected. I don't suppose you store the html as well as the scraping results?
Link destinations? As in...?
I'm guessing it was all on the same line, and I have been lazy enough not to worry too much about it. Just text-replace it; done.
No, I don't have the HTML; what you see is what I have. But I thought I got anything that mattered, anyway.

BTW, note that the dates/times in that file are in Unix Timestamp format, so you should be able to convert them to whatever you want.

amenon
Grand Templar

#20 Post by amenon »

RobbieThe1st wrote: Link destinations? As in...?
When the image itself is a link, as is the current fashion.

Looking at your list again, almost all of them were from the click-for-big era. I made a list of the rest since -- what with everything else I'm keeping track of in the same context -- I might as well.
Your csv also had </a>s for 20150104 and 20150108, but as far as I can remember or figure out, there was never anything there. Weird. There was also the map linking to... the map, the TDM ad linking to... TDM preorder, I'd expect, and the Caribbean Blue filler which I'm pretty sure linked to the CB book kickstarter. If your scraper caught all of them, that's everything since the end of 2011.

RobbieThe1st
Templar GrandMaster

Re: ALL the Comic Threads (and then some!)

#21 Post by RobbieThe1st »

I totally missed that. I've improved my parser-handler to take those links into account and start logging errors for later looking at.

amenon
Grand Templar

Re: ALL the Comic Threads (and some historical curiosities)

#22 Post by amenon »

I ran out of space in the first three posts, so I'm taking the excuse to bump this! If you're new to this thread, this is an index of the discussion threads for the comics, fillers, and assorted, and the thing being discussed. It includes stuff that isn't in the archives anymore, so that might be worth a look.

1-900 are at the start of the thread.

Those things that are no longer in the official archive -- or are in the archive but are not numbered pages -- have page number NaN and are color-coded thus:
------------
Something by Tom
Something by a guest artist
Something that was never even on the front page, but somehow ended up in this index

Page # - Comic date - Thread
-----------------------------------