Comic for Wednesday July 6th, 2016

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

MuonNeutrino
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Rose, Natani

Re: Comic for Wednesday July 6th, 2016

#16 Post by MuonNeutrino »

ChaosSepher wrote:So is this wolf dead or what? He appears surprisingly alright for someone who was epicly [censored] slapped by a dragon. Would be neat to see him come to later for interrogation.
Well, it's at least slightly plausible, if Reni didn't actually use her talons. He's still *gotta* be hurt from that sort of impact, not to mention falling off the wall, but perhaps he might not be *quite* dead (at least, in TK, where people often seem to not get hurt by things quite as much as they probably ought to).
Relief unit, eh? Now that is interesting. Now they were able to pull off this charade with the full dark cloak and hood deal, but wouldn't this "Relief Unit" have to be a bunch of humans? As none of the guards here seem to wear helmets that would conceal that much. Also wondering just how many wolves were "penned" at this point.
I'm guessing illusion spells. The attackers don't need them, they just need to look like scary templar, but you'd need illusions to disguise yourselves as guards.
Aurora wrote:Altho' he's one of the bad guys, he's kinda cute, isn't he? x) [Pets]
TheMouse wrote:Yeah, he's cute. Dammit Tom, how dare you make us question his badguyness! Granted, he was fully prepared to kill a little girl, so sympathy isn't going to happen.
musicgeek wrote:Also, damn it he's cute. Would pet/10.
I actually like this, a lot. It's quite realistic - bad guys don't necessarily have to *look* like bad guys. In any war, most of the combatants on either side are just ordinary people, and even the higher-ups, the ones that we might label as 'bad guys' if we disagree with their cause, still were born the same way as you or me. For example (at the risk of godwinning), while we've become conditioned to associate Hitler's face with 'ultimate evil', if you just *look* at pictures of him in isolation and do your best to put aside what you know about him and what he did, all you really see is a grumpy-looking dude with a somewhat odd mustache. It's only in bad fiction that the bad guys are universally mustache-twirling dark and evil-looking figures or blood-dripping spike-covered skull-bedecked butchers. (Not to say that such portrayals *can't* have a place, but overuse of that sort of thing is just laziness.)

And one of the reasons I like this sort of image is that, not only is it realistic, it makes us think about the nature of what we label as 'evil'. It's much more reassuring if we can think of people who do evil things as just being 'monsters'. It lets us dehumanize them, write them off as aberrations, distance ourselves from them, and reassure ourselves that 'normal' people could never do things like that. But the fact is, that's just not true. 'Normal people' can, have done throughout history, and continue to do, evil things. It is part of our nature; we have within ourselves the capacity for both good, and great evil, as much as we might wish we did not.

And that's a scary thing. Hitler did monstrous things. But Hitler was not *just* some sort of inhuman monster. Hitler was a real human being. He had friends, family, and loved ones. He loved dogs. He was a vegetarian out of concern for animals. Before he became the embodiment of evil, he was a painter. He had personality quirks, human weaknesses, hopes, fears, and dreams. The idea of Hitler the inhuman monster is scary enough, but what's even scarier is the idea of Hitler the human being who was still capable of doing such monstrous things while genuinely believing he was doing good. It means that we can't take refuge in the comforting illusion that people are fundamentally good, that we don't have to worry about 'normal people' doing such terrible things. We, as individuals and societies, are just as vulnerable, just as capable of sincerely leading ourselves into evil, whether through action or inaction, as he was, and we don't like to admit that.

And so, coming back to the comic, we have this perfectly ordinary-looking wolf, who by the standards of the readers could even be labeled 'cute', who nevertheless was bombarding the town with fireballs mere seconds ago. He almost certainly wouldn't consider himself 'evil', and likely sincerely believed that he was doing right, whether in the service of his race, or his organization, or whatever cause he supports. On the one hand Kei calls them '[censored]', but at the same time the comic subtly undermines that dismissal. It's comforting for the inhabitants of Edinmire to think of their attackers as *just* that, but, as usual, real life is more complicated, and things don't fit into the nice neat boxes we'd like them to. 'Evil' can coexist with 'people' and even with 'ordinary', and the appearance of this wolf reminds us of that.

Shar
Citizen

#17 Post by Shar »

Called it.

MUDPUNISHER
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#18 Post by MUDPUNISHER »

Ketzal wrote:you know, if it WAS just wolves and that's it, I'm really curious about why they thought they could take on the grand templar on his home turf (well, the lead guy thought so anyway...)

Also, what exactly are they planning on doing with the wolves at the pens? Do they have sleeper agents in there or something?
Entirely possible the "pens" are basically an internment camp filled with prisoners, who REALLY want some payback.
Nuclear Cowboy
Gotta build them flat decks.
Manchild with to much disposable income and not enough sense to spend it well

Kit.
Apprentice

#19 Post by Kit. »

So, this "Wolfpens" place is not guarded now?

FurryTanker
New Citizen

#20 Post by FurryTanker »

Next comic hopefully switches to Keith's perspective in the town.

BadJoke
Templar GrandMaster

#21 Post by BadJoke »

That new boy definitly loks like the one who traveled with the Templars, but younger... anyway everyone enjoy his cuteness! Cause at the end of the chapter, after thorough interrogation/torture he'll be hanged... :|

The fact things are reveal to us so "easily" makes me think Tom could come with a "but templars (or some of them) were implicated cause the big obscure complicated scheme...". I just hope it won't be too overcomplicated. It those cases it tends to turn ridiculous.
Anyway chief tigress seems totally convinced and that's the most important (yes I'm pro human).

but what I'm really eager to see his the Seer's reaction seeing Trace himself. How will he react?
MuonNeutrino wrote:
ChaosSepher wrote:So is this wolf dead or what? He appears surprisingly alright for someone who was epicly [censored] slapped by a dragon. Would be neat to see him come to later for interrogation.
Well, it's at least slightly plausible, if Reni didn't actually use her talons. He's still *gotta* be hurt from that sort of impact, not to mention falling off the wall, but perhaps he might not be *quite* dead (at least, in TK, where people often seem to not get hurt by things quite as much as they probably ought to).
Appart of the classic "Made of iron" trope (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MadeOfIron) it could be noted too that he landed on grass and hearth. Living bodies aren't water bombs, they don't up at every shock. So it's normal no blood can be seen. But he can still have suffered serious wounds to his internal organs or his spinal column (he landed straight on his back, ouch!).
Ketzal wrote:you know, if it WAS just wolves and that's it, I'm really curious about why they thought they could take on the grand templar on his home turf (well, the lead guy thought so anyway...)
Actually he was sure it wasn't Trace at first. And they said he shouldn't have been here. Like everyone else they though he had disappeared and couldn't imagine he would just show up here and now.
Panther wrote:Weird to see a keidran attacking other ones even if he's wolf and them being tiger : hypnotized or forced to ?

No way to say too if the two others were keidrans themselves ? In the comic of 8 of june , we can see that the "leader" seems to be human ; and saying : "we've played our part" before to leave
It was actually stated in the comic (by Laura when Trace carries her at the Basitin island) that keidran clans/races don't own any particular alliance or even friendship towards the others. For some there's no difference (in terms of threat or hatred) between humans and the other keidran species.

They're leader "looked" human, but as most noted his mask was way to ahead of his skull and used mana cristals (not necessary to human mages) so he was probably a wolf with a magic illusion.
Criminals are less dangerous than virtuous people: they kill less.

Vintage
Certified Fool
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#22 Post by Vintage »

Well then. That prediction came 100% true. I also imagine that someone was able to impersonate Kei and lure all the other guards away from the captured wolves? "Wolfpen" definitely sounds like some sort of wolf concentration camp - which apparently is now unguarded. But surely all the guards wouldn't just completely abandon an area containing a large amount of POWs, would they? Though since they're under the leadership of Kei, maybe it is in fact possible.

Tigress leader ain't havin' none of it either.
Spoiler!
Image Image
*pssst* Want'a see what happens when I attempt art? (Avatar made by WoofSenpai & NowandLater)

CrRAR
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: When in doubt, Nibbly!

#23 Post by CrRAR »

Ddraig wrote:
kiabugboy wrote:What a shocking twist!
Absolutely no one saw it coming!!

Say, so far I think this the only wolf we've seen that has white and grey colors
I feel like that wolf is familiar... wait... Is that the one from the Templar Column that Group B ran into a billion pages ago? [much searching to find] Hmm... maybe? ears are different. still looks familiar, not sure why
Maybe you were thinking of the Wolfy-wolf?

Perhaps it is in order to christen this newly discovered one Sir Wolfy-wolf Jr.?
:natani:╯ ︵┻━┻
Fight the power!

anonfox123
Grand Templar

#24 Post by anonfox123 »

I still think the obviously red mana-crystals are some kind of hint or clue. At the very least the wolves are desprate enough to be willing to risk channeling "bad" mana for extra power, or some other party gave them those to make them run that risk.
Ice-cold science-fantasy space-ninja operative!

kdragonk
Apprentice

#25 Post by kdragonk »

I might not be the best at guessing the gender of a (beautifully) drawn comic character, but I'm at least 90% certain that this wolf is female. I don't see any clear indications that they're male, and their face is very feminine looking (to me). But I'm not absulutelly sure because wolves don't use females in armies and stuff.
ImageImage

musicgeek
Apprentice

#26 Post by musicgeek »

kdragonk wrote:I might not be the best at guessing the gender of a (beautifully) drawn comic character, but I'm at least 90% certain that this wolf is female. I don't see any clear indications that they're male, and their face is very feminine looking (to me). But I'm not absulutelly sure because wolves don't use females in armies and stuff.
Well, from what we've seen of wolf culture being as misogynistic as it is, it may just be the way the character is drawn. Angles and so on.
oh god what do i put here

Elemental Templar
Merchant

#27 Post by Elemental Templar »

I think it was pretty obvious from the start that they would be wolves in disguise, and now I think it's obvious that the wolves being held in the wolfpens are going to be freed and it's result in a riot that burns Edinmire to the ground.
"There are Two kinds of people in this world:
Those who wait for change, and those who make changes themselves. Which one are you?" -Anonymous

ReBob
Council Member

#28 Post by ReBob »

And now speculation on true allegiance begins. I'm officially subscribing to the Templar plan one.

So, these wolfpens. Are they the guard barracks?

Edit: Also to reiterate for convenience. Wolves came from portal, and I now believe Adira will be at the very least questioned about it since, well, it's her tavern. Keidran distrust of even their own kind may lead to some accusations that she may have been in on it, from the guards and the tigers. Specific? Sure, but where's the fun in being vague?
Image Image
Image Image
I make banners. Want one?
Rest in Peace, Satoru Iwata.

Infinitedge
Citizen

#29 Post by Infinitedge »

The Rookie wrote:waiting to see if Sarah is waiting at the lock up with the wolves.
She had a rough day, throw her a bone. :(
Spoiler!

FrogSteaks
Grand Templar

#30 Post by FrogSteaks »

Infinitedge wrote:
The Rookie wrote:waiting to see if Sarah is waiting at the lock up with the wolves.
She had a rough day, throw her a bone. :(
Spoiler!
Damn, that's brilliant. Though couldn't she just free herself by breathing fire on those chains until they break?
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. -Wayne Gretzky