The Daily Beasts

Play around with roles and whatnot in here, I suppose.

Moderator: Moderators

Phaing
Master

Re: The Daily Beasts (open)

#541 Post by Phaing »

2561642 wrote: "Well... not exactly. I have to be able to sell my enchantments to make a living, so I've got experience with this sort of thing."
"Then you will be very welcome here."
Raimius isn't the most socially accomplished fellow in the world.
2561642 wrote:"Of course. I just need to know what the horses look like and your asking price, then I'll get right on it."
"Naturally."
In the stables you find two burly horses that look best suited to pulling a wagon (as indeed they have been) and one long-legged mount that looks like a fine riding horse. a couple of days of rest have done them a world of good, and the taller horse looks lively enough to leave the stables right away.
Raimius shakes his head. "They have barely been touched since they got here." He looks for a brush once he has made sure the feed and water are what they should be. "I don't enjoy letting them go, especially ol' Thunder here. However, we can't take them with us as if they were some sort of luggage, and they weren't bred for the far north in any case. I'd hate getting them killed more, so.... do what you can. I'll wait here since they are going to want to see them before they buy."

Their hooves look a little rough, these horses won't be going far until they are re-shod, but that is the only flaw you can see in them.
The Rookie wrote:
Phaing wrote:Sylvi gently places her icebox down on the bench in front of Beatrix before turning to the closest snickering male, steak still in mouth. Sylvi taps the man on the shoulder, looks the man dead in the eye, giving him a cute flutter of her eye lashes, before gripping the chunk of meat that hung from her jaws, sinking her fangs deep into the flesh and tearing it effortlessly in two.

(I assume he gets the message)
Indeed they do. The one fellow you were focused on pushes his plate away, looking a little green.
The rest of them don't have anything cute to say, to Sylvi. The joker, on the other hand, it going to be teased for the rest of the afternoon.
The Rookie wrote:She returns to her spot in front of Beatrix, wiping away the bloody juices that stained the fur around her mouth with back of her hand. "<That ought to make him think twice next time he imagines his 'meat' anywhere near a carnivores' jaws, eh?>" Sylvi chuckles, clearly relishing in the sudden expression of shock she'd inflicted on the poor soul. "<Speaking of meat, I was wondering if you'd be able to help me gather some provisions? Enough for 4 humans and 2 kiedran to survive on for a week at least?>"
Beatrix blinks. "You like our cooking that much?" She mulls it over, and asks "How soon do you need it?"
And she will have to go get the Innkeeper.
"Ah, well, as I recall you have good coin, so it won't be much of a problem. I can have a package ... two packages if lifting 50 pounds would be a problem." He's doing the math in his head, quickly, and he is pretty good at it. "Equal parts jerky, hardtack, cornmeal preserves in jars. If you can't do any cooking along the way, the packages will be larger but won't weigh any more than that, I'll just substitute Pemican for the cornmeal."
And he names a price that is hardly a bargain, but your request means a lot of extra work for the staff.
"If you’re going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh; otherwise, they will kill you."

-George Bernard Shaw

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#542 Post by The Rookie »

Phaing wrote:Beatrix blinks. "You like our cooking that much?" She mulls it over, and asks "How soon do you need it?
"While it's certainly grown on me, but I'm really just looking for the basics. You know, stuff to keep us alive but is still edible?

As for time, maybe some time tonight? It'll give us some time to go over the packs in case there's anything we'd like to swap out before heading out tomorrow."
Phaing wrote:And she will have to go get the Innkeeper.
"Ah, well, as I recall you have good coin, so it won't be much of a problem. I can have a package ... two packages if lifting 50 pounds would be a problem."
"Two packs would be better, please. It'd help share the burden around a little easier, especially with the rest of our stuff we'll have to lug around."
Phaing wrote:He's doing the math in his head, quickly, and he is pretty good at it. "Equal parts jerky, hardtack, cornmeal preserves in jars. If you can't do any cooking along the way, the packages will be larger but won't weigh any more than that, I'll just substitute Pemican for the cornmeal."
"I feel it'd be best to swap the cornmeal for pemican for the keidran packs regardless. I'v- We've, myself and my other keidran companion who is real, have no use for cornmeal. Oh, while we're on the subject, could one of those kiedran packs have some salted pork, while the the other contains smoked beef? I- They couldn't decide which they'd prefer, so if we have some of both it helps keep things varied.
Phaing wrote:And he names a price that is hardly a bargain, but your request means a lot of extra work for the staff.
Sylvi winces a little upon hearing the figure, but it's not entirely outrages. If anything, the owner is in his right to charge what ever they'd please since they're the only ones capable of fore filling the order.
"Deal. I'll be back with the coin at dinner, if that's ok?"
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

#543 Post by 2561642 »

Phaing wrote:
2561642 wrote: "Well... not exactly. I have to be able to sell my enchantments to make a living, so I've got experience with this sort of thing."
"Then you will be very welcome here."
Raimius isn't the most socially accomplished fellow in the world.
Tycho smiles."I hope so."
Phaing wrote:
2561642 wrote:"Of course. I just need to know what the horses look like and your asking price, then I'll get right on it."
"Naturally."
In the stables you find two burly horses that look best suited to pulling a wagon (as indeed they have been) and one long-legged mount that looks like a fine riding horse. a couple of days of rest have done them a world of good, and the taller horse looks lively enough to leave the stables right away.
Raimius shakes his head. "They have barely been touched since they got here." He looks for a brush once he has made sure the feed and water are what they should be. "I don't enjoy letting them go, especially ol' Thunder here. However, we can't take them with us as if they were some sort of luggage, and they weren't bred for the far north in any case. I'd hate getting them killed more, so.... do what you can. I'll wait here since they are going to want to see them before they buy."

Their hooves look a little rough, these horses won't be going far until they are re-shod, but that is the only flaw you can see in them.
Tycho pats the riding horse on its side. "Never is easy letting go of things you're close to. I agree that it's better they be given another home. I'll do the best I can." With that, Tycho heads back inside to look for prospective buyers. He starts with the common room.

[[OOC: I don't know who's in the room right now, Phaing, so I kind of need you to give me some sort of rundown of Tycho's options, or you can choose for him.]]

Phaing
Master

#544 Post by Phaing »

The Rookie wrote:"I feel it'd be best to swap the cornmeal for pemican for the keidran packs regardless. I'v- We've, myself and my other keidran companion who is real, have no use for cornmeal. Oh, while we're on the subject, could one of those kiedran packs have some salted pork, while the the other contains smoked beef? I- They couldn't decide which they'd prefer, so if we have some of both it helps keep things varied.
"We don't have any salt Pork here, and we'll be drying the jerky ourselves. I can throw in some dried fruit... maybe the Hardtack would be more acceptable if some of it was soaked in bacon grease?"
The Rookie wrote:Sylvi winces a little upon hearing the figure, but it's not entirely outrages. If anything, the owner is in his right to charge what ever they'd please since they're the only ones capable of fore filling the order.
"Deal. I'll be back with the coin at dinner, if that's ok?"
"It won't be done any sooner than that, in fact we'll be working late on this one. Heh, but they you folk tend to keep late hours, don't you?"

2561642 wrote: Tycho pats the riding horse on its side. "Never is easy letting go of things you're close to. I agree that it's better they be given another home. I'll do the best I can." With that, Tycho heads back inside to look for prospective buyers. He starts with the common room.

[[OOC: I don't know who's in the room right now, Phaing, so I kind of need you to give me some sort of rundown of Tycho's options, or you can choose for him.
Well, you haven't been here long enough to learn any names, so...

As I said, few females are around, only Sylvi at the moment. Up here in the common rooms (only partly separated from each other) are some of the rougher sorts, the working class that are gathered together at a couple of tables and muttering about what they will be doing once the Bog Blow clears off. If you can tell longshoremen from tradesmen you will have a better chance of starting at the right table.
You may find someone there interested in the team.

Downstairs in the game room are the younger men, some of whom have been talking about going to war for glory and all that. One of them might be richer than he looks, and be interested in a mount that he could ride to victory over the 'mangy wolves'.

And failing any of that, there is the Innkeeper, who seems to know most of the people around here.... he's the fellow talking to Sylvi right now.
"If you’re going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh; otherwise, they will kill you."

-George Bernard Shaw

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#545 Post by The Rookie »

Phaing wrote:"We don't have any salt Pork here, and we'll be drying the jerky ourselves. I can throw in some dried fruit... maybe the Hardtack would be more acceptable if some of it was soaked in bacon grease?"
"The fruits sound ok, but I don't think I can budge on the Hardtrck. I'm afraid it's not a matter of taste as much as a matter of health, sir.

We Keidran can't eat wheat products and, if I'm not mistaken, I'm pretty sure one of the main ingredients of Hardtack is flour..." Sylvi is firm, yet apologetic in her tone. "I'm sorry I'm being difficult, but... well, eating this stuff could make me deathly ill... possibly even kill me out on the road away from help... Sorry..."
Phaing wrote:"It won't be done any sooner than that, in fact we'll be working late on this one. Heh, but they you folk tend to keep late hours, don't you?"
"Yeah, we're pretty much nocturnal depending on who you ask." Sylvi agrees with a coy titter. "If that's the case, would you mind if I help with some of the preparations? I'm sure I can manage with some help, plus it'll leave some staff open to assist other customers. What do you say?"

#546 Post by 2561642 »

Phaing wrote:Well, you haven't been here long enough to learn any names, so...

As I said, few females are around, only Sylvi at the moment. Up here in the common rooms (only partly separated from each other) are some of the rougher sorts, the working class that are gathered together at a couple of tables and muttering about what they will be doing once the Bog Blow clears off. If you can tell longshoremen from tradesmen you will have a better chance of starting at the right table.
You may find someone there interested in the team.

Downstairs in the game room are the younger men, some of whom have been talking about going to war for glory and all that. One of them might be richer than he looks, and be interested in a mount that he could ride to victory over the 'mangy wolves'.

And failing any of that, there is the Innkeeper, who seems to know most of the people around here.... he's the fellow talking to Sylvi right now.
[[OOC: That's very helpful, thanks!]]

Tycho sits near the tables and listens with his back turned. He gathers that there are tradesmen here - the longshoremen also present probably have little need or want for a horse. The tradesmen will also likely go for the work horses, not the riding horse, so he decides to split his task, and focus on selling the work horses here. Once he has a read of their disposition, he gets up and begins pacing back and forth near their tables.

He then starts to talk to himself, just loudly enough that they can all hear it. "...No, that doesn't work at all.... We can't just kill them!" That should grab their attention. "I need to find someone who wants them. On such short notice - We'll have to ask much less than their actual value.... Heheh, the person who buys them could probably turn them around for a good profit within a week. We can't wait that long...." The tradesmen should perk up at that. "It's such a shame... they're good horses, but I'm leaving by sea."

Tycho pauses with his hand on his chin, looking at the ceiling. He then looks around in a confused way, as if he did not know how or when he got where he was standing. He looks over to one of the tradesmen, and says with fake but very believable enthusiasm, "Oh! Excuse me, sir, but do you happen to know of anyone here who could use or re-sell a work horse or two? If you do, I have something they should see in the stables."

Phaing
Master

#547 Post by Phaing »

The Rookie wrote:"I'm sorry I'm being difficult, but... well, eating this stuff could make me deathly ill... possibly even kill me out on the road away from help... Sorry..."
"I was speaking of the Humans that will be making up most of the group you mentioned, but I see your point."
The Rookie wrote: "If that's the case, would you mind if I help with some of the preparations? I'm sure I can manage with some help, plus it'll leave some staff open to assist other customers. What do you say?"
"Sounds like a winner to me! You can be in charge of the Jerky."
And that will be the last Tycho sees of Sylvi for a while.

The Kitchen is huge, almost as large as the Common Room when you include the walk-thorugh pantry. Sylvi will have to be alert and stay out of the way of the staff, but all should go well. No, you are not given a discount for helping, but you are allowed to choose the dozen jars of preserves that are part of the deal. It isn't just fruit jams & jellies; they also have Ham hocks, Herring, Almond Butter and small pots of soft cheese.

2561642 wrote: Tycho pauses with his hand on his chin, looking at the ceiling. He then looks around in a confused way, as if he did not know how or when he got where he was standing. He looks over to one of the tradesmen, and says with fake but very believable enthusiasm, "Oh! Excuse me, sir, but do you happen to know of anyone here who could use or re-sell a work horse or two? If you do, I have something they should see in the stables."
Well, two out of three of them are not taken in by your performance, one is even snickering at you, but one fellow stands right up. "You have horses for sale? Let me see what you have got there."
This fellow is only interested in the draft horses, and is pretty good at dickering. Between you and Raimius, you are just barely able to convince him to pay half the value of the horses... basically he got two for one. Raimius is happy with that and says to you; "Good work, shame he wasn't looking for more than just those two. Think you can find us another buyer?"

Down in the Game Room it is as I described, and they grin when they see you.
"Care to try your hand at sparring now?"
"How is Marko doing?"
"How did you get to be so buddy-buddy with Sylvi, anyway?"

-George Bernard Shaw

#548 Post by 2561642 »

Phaing wrote:
2561642 wrote: Tycho pauses with his hand on his chin, looking at the ceiling. He then looks around in a confused way, as if he did not know how or when he got where he was standing. He looks over to one of the tradesmen, and says with fake but very believable enthusiasm, "Oh! Excuse me, sir, but do you happen to know of anyone here who could use or re-sell a work horse or two? If you do, I have something they should see in the stables."
Well, two out of three of them are not taken in by your performance, one is even snickering at you, but one fellow stands right up. "You have horses for sale? Let me see what you have got there."
Thankfully, it only needed to work once.
Phaing wrote:This fellow is only interested in the draft horses, and is pretty good at dickering. Between you and Raimius, you are just barely able to convince him to pay half the value of the horses... basically he got two for one. Raimius is happy with that and says to you; "Good work, shame he wasn't looking for more than just those two. Think you can find us another buyer?"
"It's going to be more difficult to find someone interested in a riding horse. They're somewhat of a luxury. I'll see what I can do."
Phaing wrote:Down in the Game Room it is as I described, and they grin when they see you.
"How is Marko doing?"
Tycho puts his hands up in protest. "Okay, firstly, no, I'm not here to spar. I'd probably be slaughtered. Secondly, Marko is doing fine - actually, better than fine. He's up and about already. And lastly, Sylvi and I get along well because we..." He doesn't know how these people might react to finding out he's from Ditteridge. He's gotten some pretty vile reactions in the past. "...have similar backgrounds."

"Now, if that covers your questions, I should tell you the actual reason I came down here." This time Tycho goes for the direct approach. "I'm looking for someone who might want a riding horse. This horse is already broken in, and it's by no means frail. If any of you are interested, follow me to the stables so you can check the horse yourself."

"If not, I guess I could try the innkeeper...," he thinks to himself.

[[OOC: Are we still tracking character gold/money?]]

#549 Post by 2561642 »

Phaing wrote:
Thankfully, it only needed to work once.
Phaing wrote:This fellow is only interested in the draft horses, and is pretty good at dickering. Between you and Raimius, you are just barely able to convince him to pay half the value of the horses... basically he got two for one. Raimius is happy with that and says to you; "Good work, shame he wasn't looking for more than just those two. Think you can find us another buyer?"
"It's going to be more difficult to find someone interested in a riding horse. They're somewhat of a luxury. I'll see what I can do."
Phaing wrote:Down in the Game Room it is as I described, and they grin when they see you.
"How is Marko doing?"
Tycho puts his hands up in protest. "Okay, firstly, no, I'm not here to spar. I'd probably be slaughtered. Secondly, Marko is doing fine - actually, better than fine. He's up and about already. And lastly, Sylvi and I get along well because we..." He doesn't know how these people might react to finding out he's from Ditteridge. He's gotten some pretty vile reactions in the past. "...have similar backgrounds."

"Now, if that covers your questions, I should tell you the actual reason I came down here." This time Tycho goes for the direct approach. "I'm looking for someone who might want a riding horse. This horse is already broken in, and it's by no means frail. If any of you are interested, follow me to the stables so you can check the horse yourself."

"If not, I guess I could try the innkeeper...," he thinks to himself.

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#550 Post by The Rookie »

Phaing wrote:"I was speaking of the Humans that will be making up most of the group you mentioned, but I see your point."
"Oh, my mistake." Sylvi mutters apolgetically, feeling a tad foolish to just assume. "But you know how it is, better safe than sorry." she chuckles nervously, but it's short lived.
Phaing wrote:The Kitchen is huge, almost as large as the Common Room when you include the walk-thorugh pantry. Sylvi will have to be alert and stay out of the way of the staff, but all should go well.
And stay out of the way she will. Sylvi does her best to avoid wondering into anyone else's work stations, or obstructing the paths of others moving from place to place. She even pulls her tail up and tucks it into her belt to prevent a tripping hazard for those walking behind her.

That said, she still tries to fit into the team where ever she can. When she wasn't packing the bags or waiting for meat to dry, she'd ask if she could help in any other ways; like peeling potatoes or gathering fuel for the fires.
Phaing wrote:No, you are not given a discount for helping, but you are allowed to choose the dozen jars of preserves that are part of the deal. It isn't just fruit jams & jellies; they also have Ham hocks, Herring, Almond Butter and small pots of soft cheese.
Sylvi never suspected that a discount would be on the table, but that didn't really matter. In her mind, the sooner the previsions were prepared the sooner they can leave; even if it meant doing some of the work herself.

The jars of preserved goods, however, were a welcome surprise. She'd happily take any and all ham hocks, herrings and even the soft cheeses; but she thought better than to be so greedy.

Sylvi takes enough of the Ham hocks and herring to make up roughly to 2 thirds of her allocated bonus, with the rest being made up of a mixture of the sweet jams, almond butter and cheese. Even if she had little use for these nonmeat products as anything other than small occasional treats; she knew that her human companions would be able to make use of them as spreads and fillings for their otherwise dry and flavourless Hardtrck.

Phaing
Master

#551 Post by Phaing »

2561642 wrote: "I'm looking for someone who might want a riding horse. This horse is already broken in, and it's by no means frail. If any of you are interested, follow me to the stables so you can check the horse yourself."
Oh, they love the idea of having a horse, but they waste a lot of your time ... arguing among themselves. It turns out that none of them have the money for a horse after all, and none are willing to ship in to help one of their mates buy something that they can't have.
2561642 wrote:"If not, I guess I could try the innkeeper...," he thinks to himself.

When you find him, he is skeptical. "Your horse? You didn't put any animals in my stable. What kind of nag would you have?"
But when he finds out that you are talking about Marko's horse, his eyes light up.
"Oh, really? Well, lets go talk to the man! Where is he?"
He isn't happy when one of the other patrons stands up and makes to follow you, it looks like there may be a bidding war coming up.

The Rookie wrote: The jars of preserved goods, however, were a welcome surprise. She'd happily take any and all ham hocks, herrings and even the soft cheeses; but she thought better than to be so greedy.

Sylvi takes enough of the Ham hocks and herring to make up roughly to 2 thirds of her allocated bonus, with the rest being made up of a mixture of the sweet jams, almond butter and cheese. Even if she had little use for these nonmeat products as anything other than small occasional treats; she knew that her human companions would be able to make use of them as spreads and fillings for their otherwise dry and flavourless Hardtrck.
You can take a dozen, so 2/3rds of 12 is 8, split between the ham and the herring, leaving you with 2 jars of jam and 1 each of almond butter and 1 of cheese.

It takes a while for the meat to jerk, no matter how efficient you are, and there won't be much to do for a few hours but wait.
That's when you notice Tycho talking to the Innkeeper about something interesting. The other fellow that gets up is one of the rougher-looking men here, a dark-ish fellows who's clothing is unremarkable, but he is sometimes armed with a pair of large bent-bladed knives (Khukris).

-George Bernard Shaw

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#552 Post by The Rookie »

Phaing wrote:That's when you notice Tycho talking to the Innkeeper about something interesting. The other fellow that gets up is one of the rougher-looking men here, a dark-ish fellows who's clothing is unremarkable, but he is sometimes armed with a pair of large bent-bladed knives (Khukris).
//Is he moving in a way/appear to be doing anything that'd make him look suspicious? His hands on his blades, for example?//

#553 Post by 2561642 »

Phaing wrote:
2561642 wrote: "I'm looking for someone who might want a riding horse. This horse is already broken in, and it's by no means frail. If any of you are interested, follow me to the stables so you can check the horse yourself."
Oh, they love the idea of having a horse, but they waste a lot of your time ... arguing among themselves. It turns out that none of them have the money for a horse after all, and none are willing to ship in to help one of their mates buy something that they can't have.
2561642 wrote:"If not, I guess I could try the innkeeper...," he thinks to himself.

When you find him, he is skeptical. "Your horse? You didn't put any animals in my stable. What kind of nag would you have?"
But when he finds out that you are talking about Marko's horse, his eyes light up.
"Oh, really? Well, lets go talk to the man! Where is he?"
"Of course, he's in the stables right now. Let's g-...oh."
Phaing wrote:He isn't happy when one of the other patrons stands up and makes to follow you, it looks like there may be a bidding war coming up.
Tycho had not been expecting much from this - he hadn't expected the innkeeper to be interested. This is going even better than he hoped it would. He holds out his hand for a greeting handshake to this new fellow. "You're interested as well? That's great! Like I said, Marko's in the stables."

If there's any indication of hostility from this man, Tycho does not catch it.

Phaing
Master

#554 Post by Phaing »

The Rookie wrote:[//Is he moving in a way/appear to be doing anything that'd make him look suspicious? His hands on his blades, for example?//
Not at all. The blades are worn crossed over his chest and partly covered by his sheepskin vest... with the handles down by the belt.
an unorthodox way to carry blades, but it looks pretty handy.

2561642 wrote: Tycho had not been expecting much from this - he hadn't expected the innkeeper to be interested. This is going even better than he hoped it would. He holds out his hand for a greeting handshake to this new fellow. "You're interested as well? That's great! Like I said, Marko's in the stables."

If there's any indication of hostility from this man, Tycho does not catch it.
No, nothing aside from the ordinary hostility that two bidders would have for each other, especially when one or the other was expecting an easy bargain.

Out in the stable, Marko is pleased to see this, and he grins at you as he starts introducing them to his horse. The Innkeeper is bored with this and does not even look at the saddle (perhaps he has already had a good look at it all) but the other fellow ... lets call him Ash ... looks it all over carefully and notes that re-shoeing is needed.
These guys are cagey and watching each other closely as they bid. It isn't so good, they are barely going over 60% of what the horse is worth.

((and no, not really keeping such close track of cash at this point, just a general idea, and you both seem to be doing okay with that.))

-George Bernard Shaw

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#555 Post by The Rookie »

Phaing wrote:Not at all. The blades are worn crossed over his chest and partly covered by his sheepskin vest... with the handles down by the belt.
an unorthodox way to carry blades, but it looks pretty handy.
//Right, well if he doesn't seem to show any intent, I guess I'll have to leave him be.//